Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Healthy Habits in the News

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 64 Replies

We've said for almost a year now, that the best way to teach our kids a healthy habit - any habit - is to be a role model for them. For your kids to see you exercising or practicing patience and yes, eating healthy and trying new foods.

Well, now we have science to back it up: a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition says that moms who had healthy diets and just encouraged their kids to eat healthier had more success at getting their kids to choose healthy foods.

It was a study of low-income moms, but really, this news is something I think is important for all of us moms - instead of banishing bad-for-you foods or ordering kids to eat their veggies, if we talk about and show by example how to have a healthy diet, our kids will respond better. By choosing better as to what we have in the house, what we eat or drink (hello, three cans of soda!), we can really impact how our kids view eating. Even when we have days with lots of sweets, talking to them about moderation is a huge plus.

In this age of childhood obesity and diet-related health woes, this is one piece of advice we can all get behind.

Do you try to eat better now that you have kids? How do you show them a healthy diet?  

ŠiStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I do try to eat healthier and make better choices.  I also keep the junk food to a minimum at the house and provide a variety of healthy snacks.  It's not always easy and I've had my battles with the kids, but it does work.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:53 AM
2 moms liked this

I have been eating better since the day I found out I was pregnant.    We have always talked about the importance of eating healthy, I started a garden when they were about 4 and 5 as a learning experience, I took them grocery shopping and they know how to read labels.

Mrs.Pool2Be
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I do try to eat better so that it will set a good example for my kids.  I want them to eat healthy and who else better to teach them is their Momma!!!!!

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I mention the importance of a variety of foods and healthy foods.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:05 AM

We do eat a lot better now with kids.

mallowcup17
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

yes i eat a lot better since having kids and i try to show them by example

Madelaine
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM

yep

KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:28 AM
I try to eat way better now that I have kids. I just try to set a good example
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by Betty on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I don't think that I ate overly bad before kids. Dh and I eat out at Restaurants less, but that is about it. I think we all do pretty well here with eating healthy. yes, we still eat junk from time to time, but we still also enjoy our salads and veggies and stuff. we're pretty well balanced

amy7243
by Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I do think we eat better now that we have kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN