Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latest News on Fighting Childhood Obesity

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Yesterday, we touched on setting a good example with our own diets and eating habits as now proven way to enforce good food choices for our kids. Lo and behold, the same goes for getting our kids moving.

This news was all over the Internet. Lead by researchers from Vanderbilt School of Medicine and publishing in the journal Pediatrics, a study shows that kids are highly influenced by how active their friends are - meaning, if your kid has active friends who are off of the couch and exercising, then your child is moreliekyl to be active too.

Which is fabulous news, when you think about it. Instead of hitting our kids over the head with messages about moving daily or forcing them to belong to the soccer team, supply some outdoor gear so he can play with his buds or encourage him to go out and see his friend next door -- who is always out playing or shooting hoops.

A little bit of hanging out with more active kids saw an improvement in more sedentary kids in only 12 weeks - which is enough to make it a habit.

Now, that doesn't mean you want your kids to break off friendships with less active kids, just be on the lookout if a new buddy chooses more physical fun, then just keep that friendship road open and do what you can to facilitate it as well as remind your kiddo how he had fun playing with that kid - and maybe to do some activity on his own too. All good ways to encourage this vital healthy habit.

Are your kid's friends more or less active? How do you encourage your child to get moving?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ staurtbur

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:34 AM
My kid's friends are extremely active!! But we live in a small town so it makes it easy to walk to the park, see friends at the water park and that kind of thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by Betty on Jun. 14, 2012 at 2:36 AM
Yes, their friends are active. My kids are active kids. I do not have to encourage them to get moving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I don't have to encourage mine very much.  They play sports so between practice and games they are very active.   Plus we have created a backyard that allows a lot of activity.  We have patios for scooter riding, chalk drawing, plus we have a basketball court in the backyard as well.  

VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM

My kids are very active.  My oldest is currently playing two sports and my youngest two are in one sport.  They are always riding bikes and playing in the yard.  DD even tries to do pilates and yoga with me (it's something to see).  I don't worry about activity level here.

dusky_rose
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM

My children are already pretty active. My youngest dd likes to go for walks with her friends and my youngest son likes to walk with me and the dog. He doesn't really have a lot of friends yet. I'm sure he will when he starts kindergarten though.

mallowcup17
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM

we are surrounded by extremely active people. we try to get out as much as we can and do as much as we can on an almost daily basis. being active is important to us

MamaMandee
by Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM

My kids are pretty active, especially my 8yr old son, he is always off playing with friends outside! 

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Interesting! Most of my daughters friends come from gymnastics, so they are mostly active

countrygirlkat
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:27 PM

My kids are very active on their own!  Their friends are really active too though so we go the playground and ride bikes tons with friends. 

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jun. 14, 2012 at 5:34 PM

DS' friends are all super active just like him.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)