Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

More teens smoke pot than cigarettes, CDC says

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM
  • 9 Replies

More teens smoke pot than cigarettes, CDC says

A government survey shows more teens are now smoking pot than cigarettes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday that 23 percent of high school students said they recently smoked marijuana, while 18 percent said they had puffed cigarettes. The survey asked teens about a variety of risky behaviors.

For decades, the number of teens who smoke has been on the decline. Marijuana use has fluctuated, and recently rose. At times, pot and cigarette smoking were about the same level, but last year marked the first time marijuana use was clearly greater.

An earlier survey by the University of Michigan also found that pot smoking was higher. A Michigan expert said teens today apparently see marijuana as less dangerous than cigarettes.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Harris06
by Megan on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I don't mean this to start a debate, I don't want a debate, I just thought that it was interesting. Not all that surprising but interesting.

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:13 AM
This doesnt surprise me at all. Our HS here has the nickname of stoned again high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:20 AM

I'm not surprised.  We had a 6th grader at the school I work at test positive for this and several other things.  Not to start a debate but I'm seeing more kids raising themselves without structure.  *it could just be where I'm at too* so the parental guidance is low. 

Harris06
by Megan on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM
The high school my brothers went to was nicknamed Scandalweed.

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

This doesnt surprise me at all. Our HS here has the nickname of stoned again high.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM
That is oh so very sad. :(

(I agree with you.)

Quoting VisionSeeker:

I'm not surprised.  We had a 6th grader at the school I work at test positive for this and several other things.  Not to start a debate but I'm seeing more kids raising themselves without structure.  *it could just be where I'm at too* so the parental guidance is low. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all. I think kids have always smoked pot and cigarettes, but they are finally realizing how bad cigarettes are. Pot use may have gone up a little, but I think the scales have tipped mostly because of the decline in cigarette smoking. 

timon95
by Betty on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM

i agree with you above ladies, doesn't seem all that surprising. I also agree VisionSeeker that it does come down to parenting or lack of.

countrymomma81
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Quoting VisionSeeker:

No, it's everywhere. My opinion is that more women are getting pregnant for deadbeats that don't stick around so there are more and more single moms out there trying to make a living and raise kids alone. 

Again with this, definitely not trying to start a debate. My mom was a single mom until she met my stepdad. She just had it easier because my grandparents stepped in and didn't let us go without. 

I'm anti drugs and cigarettes so this news saddens me. 

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

That is just so sad and wrong!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)