Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Kid Exercises: The 4 Types You Need

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

Found this and thought it was a good one to share with the kiddos:

Kid Exercises: The 4 Types You Need

Tweens playing soccerYou know physical activity is good for your body. But you might not know that there are four different types of exercise. Each type helps your body in different ways. The great news is that a lot of what you like doing probably counts as at least one of these types of exercise. 

See how your favorite activity helps your body. Plus, get some ideas for new ways to move.

When you move, it helps your body in a lot of ways.

1. Aerobic activity gets your heart pumping and your lungs working harder. It also may make you sweat. Aerobic exercise helps your mind and mood, too. How? It releases "feel-good" chemicals into your body. When you can, get outside and move in nature.

Aerobic exercise should make up most of the one hour you spend on physical activity every day. What counts as aerobic exercise? Here are some activities to try:

• Skateboarding or rollerblading
  • Canoeing, rowing, or cross-country skiing
  • Fast walking, hiking, jogging, or running
  • House cleaning or yard work
  • Dancing to music
  • Playing tag or jumping rope
  • Basketball or volleyball
  • Biking
  • Tennis, hockey, or soccer
  • Swimming
  • Cheerleading, gymnastics, or aerobics

2. Muscle strengthening gives you greater power. But you don't need dumbbells. Even climbing on the jungle gym makes you stronger.

Do muscle-strengthening activities at least three times a week. Here are some activities that build strong muscles:

• Rope, rock, or tree climbing
  • Running or rowing
  • Push-ups, pull-ups, or sit-ups
  • Tug-of-war
  • Gymnastics or cheerleading
  • Working out with exercise weights or resistance bands. If you don't have weights, you can use cans of food or full water bottles instead -- they work too.

3. Bone strengthening exercise helps your bones grow and keeps them strong. 

You should do these exercises at least three times a week. Bone strengthening activities include:

• Jumping rope, hopping, or skipping
  • Running
  • Hiking
  • Gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, or tennis

4. Stretches make your muscles more flexible. They can help you can reach and bend and turn better. Being flexible can help you avoid getting hurt.

You can do special stretching exercises like toe touches or side stretches. But other physical activities are great for flexibility, too. Try:

• Yoga
  • Martial arts
  • Dance
  • Gymnastics

There are all sorts of ways you can get active. You can pick aerobics, muscle or bone strengthening exercises, or stretching. Why not start out by just dancing to some music? The first step is to just start moving.

slideLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

weddingDaisypath Wedding tickers

by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

deff gonna print this thanks for shareing!!!

bethany169
by Bethany on Jun. 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Technically, 2 and 3 go together - any weight bearing exercise will strengthen bones :)  Stretching is the biggest one we all need to work on in our house - we get plenty of cardio, etc, and I took a yoga class 2x a week for a while, it was awesome.  I couldn't believe how much better I felt, but I had to give it up when I cut off our Y membership.  I need to find some videos that I like, the kids even like doing "stretching" with me, as they call it :)

nngmommy83
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I agree that 2 and 3 go together =) great tips though

VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Thanks for sharing this article.  I've gotten my daughter into doing my workout dvd's with me....she tries, it's fun though.

abra
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM
awesome!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Thanks for sharing!

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by Betty on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

tfs

timon95
by Betty on Jun. 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM

dd gets a lot of exercise, she takes 31/2 hrs of dance a week and an hour of gymnastics. recital is next week, so she will be off until september. she will still take gymnastics over the summer. ds bowls. they both enjoy running around the yard and riding their bikes. they also enjoy doing Nick Fit on the wii..the kids version of Wii Fit.

Trans
by Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 2:30 AM
2,3, and 4! Thank you for sharing, it is so much useful! Time to get in action :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)