Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Kiddo used a pacifier until she was about three years old. Just at night, while she was going to sleep. It was time for her to give it up...but we knew we needed a little bit of creative thinking to do it. I mean, The Binky had been around her whole life.

What did we do? We offered a trade: if she gives up the Binky, we would get her a fish. The week after we proposed this, we welcomed home Bubbles, a blue beta fish and that night, she didn't have her pacifier. It totally worked.

Getting rid of that pacifier can be a tough one for parents and kids. If your kid isn't into fish, here are other ideas to try:

-- Call on The Binky Fairy. Talk about the Binky Fairy and how she delvers binks from big kids to little babies who need them. To really add to the fun, prepare a letter from the Binky Fairy that comes to your kiddo in the mail, requesting that she leave her binks out on a specific night (as far in the future as you think your child needs) and the Binky Fairy will leave her a special gift. Of course, pick out something grand - a new huge stuffed animal or a new scooter or something - with a note from the fairy, saying thanks and how proud she is of her, and so on. Your kiddo may have a rough few days, but that will fade quickly.

-- Send them off in style. Tie them to balloons and send them off to special binky birds or pacifier pelicans or whomever you want to say, with the idea that they deliver the binks to babies coming into the world. Plan for a big celebration after you send them off,  trip to the toy store, ice cream place, a movie date with mom and dad - something.

-- Use Someone else. My friend's dentist asked her if her daughter still had a binky and she said yes. He asked if she wanted him to say something to her about it, and she thought, why not - couldn't hurt. The dentist told her kiddo that she was old enough not to use one anymore, so she should think about giving it up soon. That very night, her daughter didn't use the pacifier. If your little one is into firefighters or doctors or pilots, use them to help ditch the pacifier.

Do your kids use a pacifier? What did you call it -- and how did they give it up? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/GOSPHOTODESIGN

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-32):
.Angelica.
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL My son wouldn't do that, I guess this would have to depend on the kid

Quoting sarah824:

Quoting .Angelica.:

my ds never took one and dd doesn't like them either but those are good ideas. i also like the build a bear idea where you put it into the stuffed animal!

I like this idea too, but I have heard stories of kids cutting the bear open to get the paci out.

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM

That's great she threw it out on her own! :)

Quoting daerca574:

both my kiddos had them. My daughter called hers a "ditty" she was just a year old and threw it in the trash herself. That was it!. My son called his a "binky" he was a toughie, but eventually he started throwing his in the toilet. When the last one was in there, that was it . . .he whined for a few days/nights, but it was ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN