Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Sucking Thumbs and Picking Noses!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

We touched on the whole sucking habit a bit yesterday, but it is a biggie, right? Deserves a little more info here - along with that other biggie for kids: picking that nose. Digging for bats in the cave, trolling for nose nuggets, fishing for boogies. We all have probably done it at least once in our lives, but some kids tend to go overboard...who hasn't seen some mom motion from the audience as their kiddo shoves a finger up his nose during a school assembly.

There are some ideas to help your kids work on both of the bad habit biggies:

-- For both of these, if you keep her hands busy, it will cut back on the habit. Offer a pet rock or a rubber band to twirl or a squeeze ball. Or get her doing something else during times when she usually does the habit -- learn a new game together, do a puzzle or the like.

-- When you are talking about it, plan out a code word that you can use when she is sucking her thumb or picking her nose, so she can stop the behavior herself without feeling ashamed. Make it like "cotton candy" or "polkadot" - something fun. She will get a positive feeling from stopping it rather than embrassement or shame that she may feel with a harsh "Stop it!"

-- Have your kid help decide how to tackle the problem. Make a progress chart and have him put stickers or checkmarks on it when he's had a good day...or if he slipped up at all. Yes, make spaces for those mess-ups and agree on how many is okay each day or week. This really helps him feel successful. Think about a special treat to reward her after five good days.

How old were your kids when they stopped sucking their thumbs...or have they yet? How do you deal with that lovely nose-picking? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/jojof

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM
My kids were never thumb suckers because we used pacifier. We just teach them that nose picking is not acceptable and offer them a kleenex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:13 AM

One of my boys did suck their thumb.   It was only for a short time.  He stopped about the age of 2.   Never had nose pickers. Thankfully

daerca574
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM

neither of my children sucked their thumbs.  Only 1 has a nose picking issue, but it's not bad.  He does it to be funny for the most part. 

VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:24 AM

These are great tips.  My daughter will sometimes still *at age 4* chew her fingernails.  It's like a nervous tick or something.  But the nose picking doesn't really happen anymore thankfully.

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Neither of my kids were thumb suckers. Ds2 went through a nose picking stage but he got so sick of always having to wash his hands that he stopped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM

My kids never sucked their thumbs. My son is picking his nose and I just think it's yuck.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

My son started the awful nose picking habit and we just stayed on him, about it. He is finally breaking the habit.

IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM
bump

amy7243
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM

We did not have any thumb suckers.

MamaMandee
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM

None of the kids were thumb suckers but I have had to deal with the nose picky. I remind them its gross, offer them a tissue and redirect. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)