Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Best Things to Buy Organic

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

Every year, someone complies a list of what the cleanest foods are - and which are the dirtiest. And we aren't talking which ones have the most little specks of dirt. They track the amount of pesticides used in growing these foods.

I think these lists are a great resource for us moms. Maybe we can't buy organic for everything - for cost reasons, for convenience reasons, for availability reasons, but using this list, we can see which ones we should really try to buy organic and which ones we could maybe buy regular. With any of them, always wash your produce thoroughly before eating or cooking.

The Dirty List -- These foods tested positive for a minimum of 47 chemicals...and some had more. When looking for these, try to buy organic: celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, domestic blueberries, nectarines, sweet bell peppers, spinach, kale and collard greens, cherries, potatoes, imported grapes and lettuce.

The Clean List -- These all had little or no traces of pesticides. Feel okay about buying non-organic: onions, avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, mango, sweet peas, asparagus, kiwi fruit, cabbage, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapefruit, sweet potatoes, and sweet onions.

Which of these do you buy organic? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/hidesy

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
timon95
by Betty on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:04 AM

i don't buy organic - too expensive. if it goes on sale, then i might buy it..like lettuce. it is very rare that i see it on sale though.

countrymomma81
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:11 AM

None. I don't buy anything organic. 

abra
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Instead of buying organic, we buy local. It's much more reliable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I buy all berries organic and leafy greens. 

But mostly I shop at farmers markets. Its cheaper and better. 

Serafia75
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I try to buy as much organic (and local) as possible.

As a cancer survivor I like to put good things (organic) in to my and my families' bodies. I know it's not a guarantee against illness, but I feel that at least I've done what I can to prevent it.

I have found that in the last couple of years prices on organic food in England has become more reasonable.

Maybe it's different in the US?

Serafia x

mallowcup17
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:23 AM
This.very rarely

Quoting timon95:

i don't buy organic - too expensive. if it goes on sale, then i might buy it..like lettuce. it is very rare that i see it on sale though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:49 AM

We buy Organic on occasion and it's usually veggies.

goddess99
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I have bought organic spinach and lettuce.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:19 AM

eek- I buy non-organic strawberries. I'll have to watch out for grapes, lettuce.  I buy potatoes, bell peppers, apples, celery. :(

daerca574
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I do buy alot of them on the clean list.  I buy a few onthe dirty list, better start looking a little closer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN