Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Every year, someone complies a list of what the cleanest foods are - and which are the dirtiest. And we aren't talking which ones have the most little specks of dirt. They track the amount of pesticides used in growing these foods.

I think these lists are a great resource for us moms. Maybe we can't buy organic for everything - for cost reasons, for convenience reasons, for availability reasons, but using this list, we can see which ones we should really try to buy organic and which ones we could maybe buy regular. With any of them, always wash your produce thoroughly before eating or cooking.

The Dirty List -- These foods tested positive for a minimum of 47 chemicals...and some had more. When looking for these, try to buy organic: celery, peaches, strawberries, apples, domestic blueberries, nectarines, sweet bell peppers, spinach, kale and collard greens, cherries, potatoes, imported grapes and lettuce.

The Clean List -- These all had little or no traces of pesticides. Feel okay about buying non-organic: onions, avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, mango, sweet peas, asparagus, kiwi fruit, cabbage, eggplant, cantaloupe, watermelon, grapefruit, sweet potatoes, and sweet onions.

Which of these do you buy organic? 

ŠiStockphoto.com/hidesy

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-33):
OrganicMom6
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

organics are best...check out those locals...I shop local as much as possible but many are not careful!!!

there are sources if you are concerned about chemicals

check out

get a membership cheap for 19.95 a year, shipped direct to your house and 20% off     http://www.dinahtuten.mybeyondorganic.com/

cindyhoney
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM

What I don't grow myself I try to buy from a  local grower. But I also buy from Aldi. Organic is too pricey, imo.

2crumbsnatchers
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:04 AM

what is a clean list? I don't mind eating organic foods

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)