Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

A gym that bans skinny people. What do you think?

Here's the link. How do you feel about this? Yay or nay? 

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/gym-bans-skinny-people-173000110.html

Here's the article:

You've heard of discrimination against overweight people, but what about discrimination against thin gals? A gym in Canada bans "skinny" women from their gym... 

Slim and svelte? Then you may be banned from Canada's new gym Body Exchange, which business model focuses primarily on obese people. In fact, they say that thin people "bring down morale." 

Founder and CEO Louise Green told TheProvince.com that the gym is a "safe haven" for overweight people who may be intimidated to work out in the presence of those who are fit. 

"Many of our clients have not had successful fitness pasts so I can see the anxiety before we get started and I can see the relief and happiness after we finish," she said. "People are often too fearful to become active. There wasn't a model that offered camaraderie. I used to walk into fitness classes where nobody would even say 'Hi.' This has got to be fun or it's not going to work." 

And, Body Exchange client Lisa Schaffer said she loves that there aren't "tiny little Lululemon people running around" the gym.

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I think it is no different as having a gym for just women or just men.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

I think its a good idea because there are alot of people who avoid the gym because they feel like they are being looked at or judged. Im sure there are other gyms in the area open for everyone. I see nothing wrong with one focusing on that one type of clientele

Would you feel the same way about a gym that banned overweight people? Like if someone opened a health club that was meant for only those trying to keep fit?

I wouldn't care but tons of people would be screaming discrimination. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

True. Good point. Thanks!

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

I think it is no different as having a gym for just women or just men.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

I think its a good idea because there are alot of people who avoid the gym because they feel like they are being looked at or judged. Im sure there are other gyms in the area open for everyone. I see nothing wrong with one focusing on that one type of clientele

Would you feel the same way about a gym that banned overweight people? Like if someone opened a health club that was meant for only those trying to keep fit?

VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't go to a place that discriminated.  I don't think gyms should be exclusive.  I've been on both sides of the spectrum and I'm of the feeling, don't like what you see, don't look because I'm doing my thing.  But I would stay clear of any place that did that.  It's sending a bad message in my opinion and I wouldn't want to be associated with that.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

zumbafreak11
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:40 PM

:) Awesome!  Us overweight ladies don't need Barbie reminding us how out of shape we are when we go to the gym.  I've never really understood why skinny minny Barbie doll types go to the gym anyway.

nngmommy83
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
I don't think that's fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
I think if it helps the people trying to get healthy, great. I am sure here are other places for already fit people to join.
my1love
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:42 PM

yeah i dont tink anyone should be banned honestly. i think the gym should be a open place where people arent in their own world not wanting to talk but to share their story, how how they workout, and so on.... id love to go to a gym again but i dont have the $120 a month to fork out

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting my1love:

i can see how it can bother some girls..... not me i at 250 use to work out with my doc at the gym we would have races who can get done fasest while doing it right

I used to go to a place that was only for people on a medically supervised diet. It was nice because we were all sorta on the same wavelength and just learning how to work out. 

But you know, if they started banning fat people the world would be in an uproar. 

countrymomma81
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Whoa now! $120.00 a month! They are around $60.00 a month here and that's for a family package!

Quoting my1love:

yeah i dont tink anyone should be banned honestly. i think the gym should be a open place where people arent in their own world not wanting to talk but to share their story, how how they workout, and so on.... id love to go to a gym again but i dont have the $120 a month to fork out

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting my1love:

i can see how it can bother some girls..... not me i at 250 use to work out with my doc at the gym we would have races who can get done fasest while doing it right

I used to go to a place that was only for people on a medically supervised diet. It was nice because we were all sorta on the same wavelength and just learning how to work out. 

But you know, if they started banning fat people the world would be in an uproar. 

countrymomma81
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Quoting zumbafreak11:

:) Awesome!  Us overweight ladies don't need Barbie reminding us how out of shape we are when we go to the gym.  I've never really understood why skinny minny Barbie doll types go to the gym anyway.

How do you think they keep that Barbie doll figure? By working out. 

my1love
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:59 PM

sounds nice.... theres only 1 gym here that has a pool, i cant lift weight or walk or ride a bike i can only swim, dor water exercises..... to get the package for 1 person that has it where you can use the pool its $120 a month for 1 person....im fucked....i cant exersice in a community pool to many kids for me to do laps ot arobics... and with my super sensative skin if its not heated my skin will blister.... i have issues

Quoting countrymomma81:

Whoa now! $120.00 a month! They are around $60.00 a month here and that's for a family package!

Quoting my1love:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting my1love:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)