Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

A Lighter Vegetarian Favorite

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM
  • 5 Replies

I found this on Skinnytaste.com...Krogers in our area has eggplant on sale this week, so this will be on the menu at my house:

Lighter Eggplant Parmesan

• 1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 12 oz fat free ricotta
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 medium egg
  • 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I used Sargento)
  • 3 cups homemade tomato sauce
  • salt

Start by making the sauce if you don't have any already made. While the sauce simmers, slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lightly salt the slices and put in a colander to release excess moisture for about 1/2 hour. Lay on paper towels to soak up any extra moisture.

Preheat oven to 450°. Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning half way through until eggplant is golden brown.

In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.

In a 9x12 baking dish, put a little sauce on the bottom of the dish and put a layer of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce until everything is used up. Top with sauce and the mozzarella cheese and the remaining grated cheese.

Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400°. Remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting.

sewinggardeningbakingdoing laundryYoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:51 AM
I am not a fan of eggplant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM
yum!! I love cooking with eggplants!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Never had eggplant, sounds good though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jun. 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I've never had eggplant but this sounds yummy.

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM

I'm not a big fan of eggplant but this sounds like it could be edible at least :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)