Homemade Fruit and Veggie cleaners
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
2 TBS baking soda
2 TBS lemon juice
- Mix ingredients then pour in clean spray bottle. Spray fresh produce generously. Sit for 5 minutes then rinse off well.
- Note: Make sure to first mix ingredients in deep container since there will be some fizzing from the baking soda & vinegar.
There are also these tips and recipes to try:
*Make sure the sink is thoroughly cleaned or use a plastic dishpan just for this purpose
- Sprinkle items with baking soda then gently scrub and rinse. This cleaning method safely removes dirt and residue. Mentioned previously on this page: 50 Quick Tips For The Kitchen.
- A mix of 50/50 vinegar and water sprayed on fresh produce also works as a good cleaner. Let sit for a few minutes before washing off.
- Add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar for every sinkful of water (standard size). Soak items for a minimum of 15 minutes before rinsing off and preparing.
- Parasite buster: Add 1/2 teaspoon of chlorine bleach per sinkful of water and soak items for 30 minutes. Rinse then soak in clear water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Add 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide (3%) per gallon of water and soak items for 20 minutes. Rinse then soak in clear water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Residue cleaner: Add a few drops of your favorite liquid dish detergent (for handwashing dishes) to water, soak items for a few minutes then scrub and rinse well under clear running water.
- Arrange fresh fruit and veggies in the sink then fill with water. For every gallon (16 cups) of water used, add 4 drops of grapefruit seed extract and an 1/8 cup of salt. Soak for a minimum of 10 minutes then rinse in clear water.
Fresh Produce Soak:
1/2 cup vinegar
3 TBS salt
- Mix ingredients to dissolve salt then add to sinkful of water (stir to mix). Soak items for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove, pat dry.
Did You Know: You should wash the outsides of melons before cutting through them? If you don’t, the knife will drag the pesticides/dirt/bacteria from the outside rind into the fruit as you cut. The outside of melons can carry some seriously nasty cooties
Do you think you would do this or use a commercial cleanser?
Yoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.