Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being Sneaky

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Nutrition: Stealthy Vegetables: Getting Children to Eat More

By NICHOLAS BAKALAR
Published: July 29, 2011

Good news for parents: You can get your children to eat zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower and squash - and like them.

Researchers at Pennsylvania State University substituted those vegetables, puréed, in children's meals, reducing each meal's calories but keeping its weight the same. One day a week for three weeks, 40 children were randomly given regular meals, meals with three times as much vegetable content, or meals with four times as much vegetable content. The children were told to eat as much or as little as they wanted.

The 3- to 6-year olds, attendees at a day care center, consumed the same amount of food by weight, regardless of whether the meals included puréed vegetables. But those who ate the meals with quadrupled vegetable content increased their total vegetable intake by 73 grams and reduced their calorie intake by about 12 percent during the study.

Asked to rate the taste yucky, O.K. or yummy, more than 70 percent of the children rated the vegetable-adulterated meals as O.K. or yummy. The study was published online July 20 in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

"The controversial aspect of this is that it's deceptive," said Maureen K. Spill, the lead author and a postdoctoral fellow at Penn State. "But it's just another way of making recipes healthier. It's still important to get children to learn what vegetables look and taste like."

from the new york times

Have you ever hid veggies in your kids food?

sewinggardeningbakingdoing laundryYoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:40 PM
No my kids just eat them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I have never had to hide veggies to get my girls to eat them. They would prefer veggies to just about anything.

soccerchik8287
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I have not but if my daughter stopped eating veggies on her own, I would!

abra
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM
same here.

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

No my kids just eat them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM

No. I don't force them to eat anything. 

timon95
by Betty on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:07 AM

no, my kids like to eat their veggies

nngmommy83
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Yeah I have in sauces and juices I make. They've both gone through picky stages and this helped a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)