Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Heat can be deadly, especially for children, elderly and pets, say health officials

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

Heat can be deadly, especially for children, elderly and pets, say health officials

Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 11:07 AM     Updated: Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 11:13 AM

heat elderly.jpgThe health department advises checking on elderly residents during hot weather. In this July 2011 photo, Elders Helpers employee Bob Cole brings a fan to Rosie Russel on her 107th birthday.

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- As 90-plus degree weather hits West Michigan this week, health officials are reminding residents that hot weather can be deadly.

Heat was a factor in at least three deaths last year in Michigan, according to the Kent County Health Department. Children, older adults and pets are especially at risk as temperatures rise into the 90s.

They have issued a few reminders about staying safe:

Never leave children or animals in a parked car – even with the windows cracked open.

Last year, 33 children died in the U.S. after being left unattended in a hot car.

“If it gets sunny and hot, the temperature inside a parked car can reach 120 degrees or more in a matter of minutes," says Cathy Raevsky, health officer for the health department. “Heat stroke and death can occur in these dangerous situations.”

Last year, 33 children in the United States died of hyperthermia when left unattended in a hot car, according to the San Francisco State University Department of Geosciences.

Check on elderly friends twice a day in hot weather.

Older adults often have a hard time handling the heat because their bodies don’t adjust quickly to a change in temperature and because some medications can cause bad reactions to heat. They should drink plenty of cold liquids (non-alcoholic) to stay hydrated, health officials say.

The health department also urges people to be alert to signs of heat exhaustion. Seek medical treatment as soon as possible if someone is very pale or suffering from dizziness, muscle weakness or cramps, vomiting or heavy sweating.

Keep pets hydrated.

Make sure pets have plenty of clean drinking water because they dehydrate fast, health officials say. They advise keeping them indoors or in a shady place and suggest keeping playtime short so the pets don’t overheat.

For help, contact the Heart of West Michigan United Way.

For more information and referrals to social service agencies, call the United Way at 211, the health department says.

Email Sue Thoms at sthoms1@mlive.com and follow her on Twitter at twitter.com/suethoms

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fields456
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:43 AM
We are in Texas and it is stupid hot. 2 guys at Dh's work passed out from the heat Although we are more used to it than ppl in Michigan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Good reminders.  Thanks for sharing.

atlmom2
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM
We will be 100 today in SE Wisconsin today. We were near there yesterday but we had low humidity. The humidity has spiked today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM
tyfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Tfs its supposed to be 95 tomorrow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Braydens_Mama11
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Its 99 degrees here. And 35% humidity. I broke into a drenching sweat just from the car to my door. Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Quoting Fields456:

We are in Texas and it is stupid hot. 2 guys at Dh's work passed out from the heat Although we are more used to it than ppl in Michigan

I'm in SE Louisiana and I agree. It's hot as hell but at least we are used to it. Those poor people aren't used to this. 

Hell we are still playing softball tournaments during weekends in this weather. 

Fields456
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Quoting countrymomma81:

Plus we have Ac
countrymomma81
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Plus we have Ac

Oh yeah. People in other areas don't realize that here A/C is an absolute necessity. 

Fields456
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Quoting countrymomma81:

I know it is. Ours went out last summer and I was preggo. It took a week to get it replaced but one of our friends gave us a window unit and dd and I spent the entire week in our bedroom. It was like 100 in the rest of the house
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)