Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Healthy Smiles

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 5 Replies

Are there any foods that I should avoid to keep my teeth healthy?

A handful of potato chips or even a whole wheat roll can be just as damaging to your teeth and gums as a chocolate chip cookie. All carbohydrates break down into simple sugars, which are ultimately converted by bacteria in the mouth into plaque, a sticky residue that is the primary cause of gum disease and cavities. Carb-based foods such as breads and crackers tend to have "a chewy, adhesive texture," making it easier for them to get caught between teeth or under the gum line, where bacteria can then accumulate, says Christine Gerbstadt, MD, RD, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Have carbs at mealtimes rather than as a snack: When you eat a larger amount of food, you produce more saliva, which helps wash food particles away.

How many of you are carb lovers?  Did you know these facts?

Hippy Chic~Yoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.  Follow me at http://www.accidentalcountry.blogspot.com/

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I eat very little carbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM

We are potato lovers in my house. I guess I knew but didn't necessarily put two and two together, if that makes any sense. 

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM
TFS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soccerchik8287
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I did not know this!

abra
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:31 AM
eeeek! I'm a carboholic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)