Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Eat your veggies if you want your kids to eat theirs: study

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM
  • 7 Replies

Eat your veggies if you want your kids to eat theirs: study 

If you want your kids to eat their vegetables, best lower your voice, put the wagging finger away, and tuck into a salad yourself.

Because after observing different parenting styles of low-income families, researchers found that providing a positive food environment and adopting personal healthy eating habits was more effective than barking out orders or the use of force, rewards or punishments.

The study, which appeared in the May edition of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that parents who persuaded rather than ordered their kids to eat their vegetables had kids with healthier habits.

Similarly, stocking the kitchen with healthy snacks, maintaining regular meal times and taking kids to the grocery store to become engaged with their food are also recommended.

The latest study supports previous research which found that a mother's own eating habits have a big impact on whether her child consumes enough fruits and vegetables. A  study published in 2010 found that a toddler's consumption of fruits and vegetables was proportional to the mother's intake of the same food groups.

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sarah824
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM

DH & I eat a TON of veggies. Fresh, steamed, salad, etc and DS still won't eat them. It has been this way in our house forever. DD loves her veggies though. 

(Maybe cause we're not "low-income"? Sorry, not sure what that has to do with anything in this study.) 

VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM

That's true!!!!  I try to be an example.  TFS!

countrymomma81
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM

That doesn't help in my house. I am the healthiest eater here. I eat friut, vegetables and we try to use lean cuts of meat. 

My son comes in a close second, but DH and DD won't touch most healthy things. 

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
I love veggies. My kids will eat them but the only thing they love is salad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Same here!

Quoting VisionSeeker:

That's true!!!!  I try to be an example.  TFS!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soccerchik8287
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

We always eat a lot of veggies. My fiance doesn't like them though so it'll be interesting to see if my daughters love for them changes once we get married & she's really exposed to an influential person in her life who does not eat or like lots of veggies

abra
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:34 AM
we eat mostly fruits and veggies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN