Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Two Angry Moms

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM
  • 19 Replies

Has anyone else watched this eye-opening documentary about the food they serve to public schools here in the U.S?

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Angry-Moms-Amy-Kalafa/dp/B002RUN33M/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1341280798&sr=1-1&keywords=two+angry+moms

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nngmommy83
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 11:39 PM
No I haven't, sounds interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM
I have not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I haven't but it's interesting.

KamiLynn
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM

If you can watch if from your local library then I highly recommend it! DH and I watched it with the kids yesterday and it was pretty disturbing. Our youngest is just starting KG this year so we have lots and lots to thing about :P

sarah824
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I have not seen it, but my feeling on school lunches is this... If I want my child to have healthy choices at school then I will pack their lunches. They get to eat school lunch once in a while and they consider it a treat. I am responsible for their healthy eating habits, not the school. Our school does have a salad bar with lots of healthy choices though.

countrymomma81
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I started packing lunch for my son about halfway through the school year when a local radio personality started posting pictures of her daughter's school lunch every day. My son doesn't talk a lot about lunch, or anything that goes on in school for that matter. I needed to take his health into my own hands so I did. 

You know, the schools already don't have that great of a budget. And how many people on this very site complain about how expensive healthy food is? So how do you expect our schools to feed our children healthy things if some of us can't even afford to? 

timon95
by Betty on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM

no I haven't

soccerchik8287
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I haven't seen it

abra
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Did anyone see Jamie Oliver's expose on this stuff?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KamiLynn
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

This may be true for younger kids, but what middle schooler is going to resist the peer pressure of just about everyone else eating the junk food?? Corporations are allowed to sell their crap in most schools, and that is just what they are doing.

Of course its every parents responsibility to help teach their kids healthy eating habits, but this film is not about the individual kid, its about the collective...

Case in point - the millions of new cases of type II diabetes diagnosed each year. If you think its out of your hands, who do you think is going to PAY for all of the costs associated with all of these medical issues (and not just diabetes but also asthma, cancer, ADHD...you get the point).

Quoting sarah824:

I have not seen it, but my feeling on school lunches is this... If I want my child to have healthy choices at school then I will pack their lunches. They get to eat school lunch once in a while and they consider it a treat. I am responsible for their healthy eating habits, not the school. Our school does have a salad bar with lots of healthy choices though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN