Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

14 Ways to Start Taking Better Care of Yourself- do you have any to add?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:38 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

14 Ways to Start Taking Better Care of Yourself

Posted by Joanna Montgomery on July 4, 2012 

Why does it seem that at times when we most need to take care of ourselves, we let self-care go right out the window? Or maybe that's just me. That's what I did in my life pre-cancer. I'd get so wrapped up in life and work and the stress of both that I'd totally forget to take care of myself. 

And that's the worst possible time for us to neglect ourselves, isn't it? When we're involved in a stressful situation or working under a deadline.

I'm sure you've all done it too. Rescheduled doctor and dental appointments because you were too busy. Ignored little aches and pains rather than going to the chiropractor or, heaven forbid, getting a massage. Eating something quick on the run rather than sitting down and eating something healthy, or skipping meals altogether. Using coffee to keep you powered up throughout the day rather than making sure you got a good night's sleep the night before. Postponing that vacation, or that dinner with an old friend. Staying inside all day. Sitting for hours at a computer without walking around, stretching, or even going to the bathroom until your bladder is screaming. 

Once I recovered from cancer surgery, I knew I had five to six months of chemotherapy ahead of me. I was fortunate enough to be able to take medical leave from my job; and my primary focus became taking care of myself and my newborn daughter. So, aside from managing the side effects of treatment, how did I take care of myself?

I started eating healthier, and taking the time to make healthy choices rather than decisions out of convenience or time restraints.

I began taking vitamins and herbal supplements, paying attention to my digestion, thyroid, immune system, bones, circulatory system and organs.

I kept in regular touch with my primary care physician, reporting any changes or symptoms in my body.

I became more mindful, paying more attention to my mental health. I started setting aside quiet time for meditation and reflection.

I read more books for pleasure.

I tried to practice deep abdominal breathing several times during the day, whenever I thought of it. (Like right now. Go ahead ... try it.) 

I scheduled regular massages, for lymphatic drainage as well as to sooth my achy joints and stretch my atrophied muscles.

I went to bed earlier, savored sleep whenever I could get it. Kept devices out of the bedroom.

Rather than a rushed shower in the morning, I took bubble baths after our daughter was down for the night. 

I started drinking more water, and largely replaced coffee with green tea.

I enlisted the help of a Pilates instructor and had her give me private lessons to get me in good enough shape to join group classes.

I spent more time with friends, became more social.

I started writing more.

I became more grateful, thanking the universe every day for all that I have been given.

And I'm still doing all of these things, for the most part.

It has occurred to me more than once that I'm doing the things for myself that I should have been doing all along. I did not have to get sick to make self-care a priority, but that's basically what happened.

What is a better investment than one's self? Because if we fail to do that, none of the rest of it really matters, does it? 

My hope is that if I'm given a second chance at life, I don't ever again become complacent.

Every day that I have here is a gift, and I want to make the most of it.

What about you?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Those are all good. Drinking a lot of water, yoga, reading, elliptical time, taking walks with the kids
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KDBeckham
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Exercise, water, down time to include reading/games/time with the kids, meditation, better eating habits, awareness of how I will be if I do NOT change.

What an awesome article, lots of great ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM

A. this article is great.

B. I feel like this chic and I are on the same journey (minus the cancer part for me) so hearing that someone else is seeing how important taking time for yourself makes me feel a little less crazy.

Thanks.

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I find it hard to stay consistent with my self care cause there's always something coming up! but I do know it's important

abra
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Praying. And being careful to start taking notice of all the wonderful things in my life instead of taking them for granted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by Betty on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

right now for me it more about trying to get into the routine and remember to do it.  so, i am trying to remember tot ake my vitamins everyday, drink more water, be outside more with the kids, eat better. just need to fit exercise in there now.

jesusgirl76
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Getting more sleep, if possible.

sarah824
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

More water, more exercise, more time for my spiritual life. 

bethany169
by Bethany on Jul. 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I find that I'm a better mother, wife and all around person if I take care of myself - I get plenty of exercise, see the chiro regularly and doctor when I need it (which isn't often, thanks to the chiro :)....I'm not big on baths or some of the other stuff she mentioned (just as examples), but I think the important thing is for each person to do the things that specifically help them feel better and stay healthy.  If we don't take care of ourselves, we won't be able to take care of our families.

abra
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I agree! 

Quoting bethany169:

I find that I'm a better mother, wife and all around person if I take care of myself - I get plenty of exercise, see the chiro regularly and doctor when I need it (which isn't often, thanks to the chiro :)....I'm not big on baths or some of the other stuff she mentioned (just as examples), but I think the important thing is for each person to do the things that specifically help them feel better and stay healthy.  If we don't take care of ourselves, we won't be able to take care of our families.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN