Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are Meat Eaters Really More Judgy Than Vegetarians?

Posted by   + Show Post

Are Meat Eaters Really More Judgy Than Vegetarians?

Posted by Adriana Velez on July 5, 2012 

tofu loveVegetarians get pegged as intolerant jerks all the time -- with their holier-than-thou eating habits and their "I can't eat anything with a face." But look who the real intolerant jerks are. USA Today and Match.com surveyed some single vegetarians to see if they would be willing to date meat eaters. And they asked meat eaters if they would be willing to date vegetarians.

Almost all the vegetarians said they'd be willing to date a meat eater! Only 4 percent said they wouldn't. But carnivores? A whole 30 percent of them said they would reject a vegetarian. Meat eaters, where is the love?!?

Well, well, well. Look who's more open minded: Vegetarians. As someone who likes to poke fun at vegetarians every so often: OUCH. All this time we've been giving veggies crap about being so self-righteous and persnickety. What meat eater hasn't secretly felt judged by vegetarians? We just assume that if a vegetarian makes a choice about her food based on her ethics (or other strong feelings), she's going to disapprove of anyone who makes the opposite choice, right? And that's why meat eaters are so wary of vegetarians: They're afraid of being harshly judged.

It's a pre-emptive strike. Meat eaters reject vegetarians before vegetarians can reject them.

Well it turns out vegetarians are a bit more flexible than that. They're in the minority, and that tends to make you a little more compassionate towards people who are different from you. They're constantly making accommodations, meeting you at that restaurant that has only one vegetarian dish, making do with just the corn and salad at the barbecue. Sure they complain sometimes -- but you would, too, if you were living in a vegetarian world.

I'm not a vegetarian, but many of my friends are veggies. And they couldn't care less what I eat. Most of them care way more about their relationships with friends and family than how most folks get their protein.

Oh god. I hope vegetarians don't start getting all judgy and self-righteous about being less judgy and self-righteous than carnivores...

Did the survey surprise you? Did you know meat eaters could be more intolerant than vegetarians?

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:46 AM
Replies (11-16):
Mdmooch
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yeah...I love how everyone is concerned about my protein!  I can say that with my first pregnancy I had to take Iron supplements and I ate meat.  I am a veg with this pregnancy and don't need to take Iron supplements because my numbers are great and all of my numbers for everything look much better than when I ate meat.  I don't go out and proclaim how not eating meat is better, but I get a lot of questions when people find out that I don't eat it.  My husband has started to convert and he said he notices a huge difference in how he feels.  He had to switch for health reasons and I am so glad he did!

Mdmooch
by New Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I love to cook and I cook dinner every night.  My husband went a week with no meat for dinner and he didn't even miss it!  There are some really great cookbooks out there geared toward vegetarians and the food is amazing!  Good luck with your future veg meals! :)

Quoting sarah824:

This seems silly to me, but I get it, kinda... As someone who loves to cook it is MUCH harder for ME to cook for a vegetarian than it is for a meat eater. We had a friend dating a vegan for a while and that was hard because I was never sure what she would or wouldn't eat.

MockingJay
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I have been a vegetarian for 25 years. I have never made a rude comment to a meat eater, about their food. I have gotten in a discussion or two, but only if the other person wants to have a discussion, and is respectful of my choices. 

I have not had many be totally rude. Certainly comments about getting enough protein. Mostly I find that people are just lost, or confused as to what there is to eat, if you do not eat meat. Forget it if you are vegan...

These days things are better, and more people are away of all of the amazing food options for vegetarians. 

MockingJay
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM

What's so hard about it? I mean all you have to do is what you normally do without the meat. Pasta, veggies, grains....I never expect people to cook special for me, but there are many meat replacements that you use just like meat. Beans, tempeh, tofu, and many different types of alternatives, veggie meatballs, sausages, etc. 

Also, super easy to google vegan and veggie dishes. Not criticizing you, just trying to show that it is not really complicated. Anything that you make with meat, can generally be easily altered to be vegan or vegetarian or vegan. 

Quoting sarah824:

This seems silly to me, but I get it, kinda... As someone who loves to cook it is MUCH harder for ME to cook for a vegetarian than it is for a meat eater. We had a friend dating a vegan for a while and that was hard because I was never sure what she would or wouldn't eat.

sunshine86912
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:19 AM

hahahahaha that made me laugh.,.because I dont eat meat..and my husband does..and my kids do most of the time. and the resturant thing is sooo true.  he always asks where I want to go..and there arent many places that are veggie friendly  (although here in Germany, in our town  we have two veggie only resturants :) )and I always tell  him it doesnt matter because I will end up with a salad pretty much where ever we go!

soccerchik8287
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that, kind of ridiculous for either to be intolerant. However my fiance's roomate in college was dating a vegetarian for a while. I remember one day he said that if they did not get married & he ever dated again, he would prefer not to date a vegetarian. They had a hard time going out places because a lot of places did not have options she would eat. Also, she made him feel uncomfortable anytime he ate meat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)