Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

For those of us that love the outdoors

Posted by   + Show Post

Here's a little reminder of something that we may run into~

Tick bite in children

tick

When traveling through woodlands and tall grass, children and adults are at risk for tick bites.

Ticks are insects that bite into the skin and attach themselves so that they can suck blood. Various types of ticks can transmit diseases.

For example, the wood tick (or dog tick) can transmit Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Colorado tick fever.

The deer tick, found throughout large parts of the United States, can transmit Lyme disease when they attach to the skin, through a spirochete known as Borrelia.

Not all ticks are carriers of this disease, however, a large proportion of ticks in the New England states, Wisconsin, and Minnesota are infected with the spirochete that causes Lyme disease.

However, even if the tick is carrying the germ, only a few people who are bitten become sick.

Symptoms and signs of tick bite

The tick bite itself is not painful, but after a few hours, the person will often notice slight irritation and itching at the bite wound. That is when the person will find the tick attached to the skin.

Children usually do NOT notice the tick, even after being bitten.

Lyme disease will often first appear as a ring-shaped rash at the bite wound where the tick has attached itself. Known as erythema migrans, the rash is characterized by a red ring with a central zone that gradually becomes paler (bulls eye).

The rash happens from several days to a few weeks after the tick bite and spreads out from the bite wound. It is itchy and hot.

The rash usually lasts approximately 3 weeks, and can become quite large, as big as 4 to 6 inches in diameter. Occasionally, there are multiple "target" lesions, or rashes.

The child with Lyme disease may also have generalized flu-like symptoms, such as fever, headache, joint and muscle pains, and lethargy.

These symptoms may precede the development of the rash. Sometimes, the rash does not appear at all.

Rarely, Lyme disease may cause problems with the heart and nervous system.

One such problem, Bell's palsy, happens when the disease affects the facial nerve, causing paralysis of one side of the face.

On the affected side, the child will not be able to wrinkle his/her brow or shut his/her eye, and the smile will be crooked.

This condition must be treated with a two to three week course of antibiotics.

Fortunately, most children make a full recovery.

Home treatment/Prevention

When you and your child are traveling in areas where there may be ticks, you should take some simple precautions:

• Wear long trousers and keep your ankles well covered. It is a good idea to pull your socks up over your trousers.
  • Insect repellents, applied to the skin, as well as to clothing, can help prevent tick bites. For young children, products that contain less than 10% "DEET" (the active ingredient in most insect repellents), are both safe and effective.
  • Inspect your skin and clothing after walking in an area where there are ticks. Check the child's whole body thoroughly for ticks every night before bed.

When to seek medical advice

Most people have no problems after a tick bite, and you do not need to contact your doctor for uncomplicated, minor reactions at the bite wound.

See the doctor immediately or call 911 if:

• The child is having difficulty breathing or any type of severe reaction from the bite

Make an appointment with your doctor if:

• You notice that your child's face seems lop-sided, or their smile is crooked.

Have you had issues with ticks this year?

Hippy Chic~Yoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey.  Follow me at http://www.accidentalcountry.blogspot.com/

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Replies (11-14):
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I've had 1 tick and it was on me and I freaked out because I pulled it off and burned it but it was on my back so it was hard to do.  The next day I made my girlfriend come over and check my back to make sure it was gone.  LOL

VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM

do you still have problems with it?  Or is it completely resolved?

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

i caught lymes when i was 13 ...

VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

My one son and husband have each had one this summer.  Our daschund has had several but they died d/t his flea/tick medicine.  Still wigs me out though.

Quoting NicholasMama608:

I've had 1 tick and it was on me and I freaked out because I pulled it off and burned it but it was on my back so it was hard to do.  The next day I made my girlfriend come over and check my back to make sure it was gone.  LOL

nngmommy83
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

no we haven't!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)