Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Every one uses timeouts or a spanking or taking privileges/things away or grounding, but what are some of your more *creative* punishments?

My neighbor made her 10 year old DD write a 500 word essay on who the mom was in their house.

Another neighbor makes the kids run laps around the cul-de-sac.

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Replies (31-35):
sarah824
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I am sorry, but you are being VERY critical. I love my kids and they know it, but that doesn't mean they never act up or do something that they shouldn't. 

So, you're telling me that you have trained your kids and your 5+ year old NEVER does anything wrong? Never touches something they shouldn't? never says something they shouldn't? NEVER? If they never do any of these things then how did you accomplish that? I am sure many of us could benefit from learning your ways of *training* your kids. 

Quoting abra:

nobodies kids are perfect, but we have to be reasonable. And I'm not the one making you feel like shit.

My advise:

Love your kids. Make sure they know the reason you are training them is because you love them, not because they annoy you.
Quoting letlovegrow2524:

I just see you commenting on what everyone's doing wrong, how bout some actually advise about what should be done. Instead of blabbering BS and trying to make parents feel like shit for what they have been trying. If your kids are so perfect you must have advise unless your just trolling...

Quoting abra:

yelling can be interpreted by the kids as a loss of control and anger. Whatever method of discipline a parent chooses, it should never be done in anger. If an adult can't control themselves, how can we expect our children to?

Quoting letlovegrow2524:

Ohhh good question!

What about for younger kids mine are 3 1/2 and almost 2. I'm so tired of them fighting and kicking, punching, hitting, biting, pulling each other's hair. It's all day long and drives me crazy! I make my oldest stand in the corner but no way I could get me 2 year old to even sit in time out. I find myself taking whatever they were fighting over away but then they just find something else or sending them to bed. I don't want to spank them and I'm sick of yelling at them I feel like that's how my days are spent yelling =/

I'm sure taking notes for when they are older though! =)

Shelley927
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Quoting abra:

should good deeds really be used as punishments?

Quoting Shelley927:

I made my kids go to the park and pick up trash...(with gloves ) , pulling weeds from around the house.....mow the grass with the old push mowers ( the ones without a motor) , volunteer at a nursing home for a few hours pushing residents to their locations and they learn a lesson....You know how old folks are and their stories....

That is to beauty of it....it is not punishment it is showing the kids that they are not the only ones that exsist....the world goes round by selfless acts.....they learn something out of this....I did it several times with my kids and they are far from angels but they like being able to learn something from the past and help somene in the present to make a better future......

abra
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
As the saying goes, if you throw a stick into a pack of dogs, the one who yelps is the one who got hit. In other words, if you are offended, it's probably because I hit a nerve. Which really isn't my fault. You are in control of your life. You don't have to listen to me at all. You don't know me, why do you care what I say?

My 6 year old rarely acts up. And you be as snarky as you want, but the reason I have such "good"/well behaved kids is because I work my ass off to get us to this place. Training up children is hard work 100% of the time. You have to overload them with love and affection in order to make any kind of training effective. In my opinion, which you have no reason to care about, most of the "disciplinary" methods on this thread are pure laziness. You don't have to be creative if you just are consistent from the beginning and are genuinely doing it for your child's well being and not for selfish reasons. I'm not saying that's easy or that I'm a pro at it. I just know it works.

You don't have to care and you don't have to listen to me. I'm confident enough in my reasons not to care what strangers think. If you aren't confident and you are taking offense, maybe you should figure out why.
Quoting sarah824:

I am sorry, but you are being VERY critical. I love my kids and they know it, but that doesn't mean they never act up or do something that they shouldn't. 

So, you're telling me that you have trained your kids and your 5+ year old NEVER does anything wrong? Never touches something they shouldn't? never says something they shouldn't? NEVER? If they never do any of these things then how did you accomplish that? I am sure many of us could benefit from learning your ways of *training* your kids. 

Quoting abra:

nobodies kids are perfect, but we have to be reasonable. And I'm not the one making you feel like shit.

My advise:

Love your kids. Make sure they know the reason you are training them is because you love them, not because they annoy you.

Quoting letlovegrow2524:

I just see you commenting on what everyone's doing wrong, how bout some actually advise about what should be done. Instead of blabbering BS and trying to make parents feel like shit for what they have been trying. If your kids are so perfect you must have advise unless your just trolling...

Quoting abra:

yelling can be interpreted by the kids as a loss of control and anger. Whatever method of discipline a parent chooses, it should never be done in anger. If an adult can't control themselves, how can we expect our children to?

Quoting letlovegrow2524:

Ohhh good question!

What about for younger kids mine are 3 1/2 and almost 2. I'm so tired of them fighting and kicking, punching, hitting, biting, pulling each other's hair. It's all day long and drives me crazy! I make my oldest stand in the corner but no way I could get me 2 year old to even sit in time out. I find myself taking whatever they were fighting over away but then they just find something else or sending them to bed. I don't want to spank them and I'm sick of yelling at them I feel like that's how my days are spent yelling =/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM
I had to do this growing up and I always remembered it worked so its now what my kids do.

Quoting countrymomma81:

Quoting batjmom:

Mine have to write. So it could be an apology letter or what I have learned essay. That way they have to think about what they did

I like this. Because my son is sensitive (when he's not pitching a fit) this might get to him. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM

#1 Not offended. Truly could not care less what you think of me or my parenting style. I am very confident as my abilities as a parent as well.

#2 I wasn't being snarky. I was truly asking for more information regarding the *training* you keep referring to. In many threads you mention training your kids, but you give no examples of what that means. That is all I was asking about. It wasn't meant to be snarky and I'm sorry you took it that way. 

Quoting abra:

As the saying goes, if you throw a stick into a pack of dogs, the one who yelps is the one who got hit. In other words, if you are offended, it's probably because I hit a nerve. Which really isn't my fault. You are in control of your life. You don't have to listen to me at all. You don't know me, why do you care what I say?

My 6 year old rarely acts up. And you be as snarky as you want, but the reason I have such "good"/well behaved kids is because I work my ass off to get us to this place. Training up children is hard work 100% of the time. You have to overload them with love and affection in order to make any kind of training effective. In my opinion, which you have no reason to care about, most of the "disciplinary" methods on this thread are pure laziness. You don't have to be creative if you just are consistent from the beginning and are genuinely doing it for your child's well being and not for selfish reasons. I'm not saying that's easy or that I'm a pro at it. I just know it works.

You don't have to care and you don't have to listen to me. I'm confident enough in my reasons not to care what strangers think. If you aren't confident and you are taking offense, maybe you should figure out why.
Quoting sarah824:

Quoting abra:

My advise:

Quoting letlovegrow2524:

Quoting abra:

Quoting letlovegrow2524:

Ohhh good question!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)