Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Every one uses timeouts or a spanking or taking privileges/things away or grounding, but what are some of your more *creative* punishments?

My neighbor made her 10 year old DD write a 500 word essay on who the mom was in their house.

Another neighbor makes the kids run laps around the cul-de-sac.

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
sarah824
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I have started, just this week, with making DS write sentences. 10 times of "I will not...". It seems to be helping. 

quickbooksworm
by Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Mine has to write about why what he did was wrong.  He's 7 so it's not really an essay, just a paragraph.  If he's slow and super grumpy about getting ready in the morning, he has to go to bed early that night.  If he's flat out disrespectful I make him do pushups or write lines.  One summer he got wild because he was watching a lot of superheroes so I took everything superhero away and he had to earn it back.  I don't have a whole lot of discipline issues with him to be honest.  Every punishment fits the crime.

Quoting sarah824:

I am just looking for something that will help it sink in that they did wrong. What are some of the punishments you have used in the past? 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Depends on the offense.

allboys246
by Amy on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I like the writing thing. I will keep that one in my back pocket.lol

I don't spank my kids so I will do a timeout sometimes if we are not at home. If we are home they have to clean something that is outside of what they have to do. Like my oldest HATES to clean the bathtub SO if he gets in trouble he has to clean the tub. :) works for us!

Shelley927
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I made my kids go to the park and pick up trash...(with gloves ) , pulling weeds from around the house.....mow the grass with the old push mowers ( the ones without a motor) , volunteer at a nursing home for a few hours pushing residents to their locations and they learn a lesson....You know how old folks are and their stories....

soccerchik8287
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM

We don't really do anything creative. Time outs or loss of a privilege is usually it

bethany169
by Bethany on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Exactly!!

Quoting VisionSeeker:

I haven't had to do anything creative, but I'm taking notes ladies so keep the ideas coming LOL!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM

They've had to write sentences before.. and when they were fighting I tied them together and made them do chores as a team lol.

abra
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:10 AM
I don't think punishments that take forever are a good idea. Ideally, punishments should be controlled, calm and as quick as possible. Drawing them out leads to bitterness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Hmmm.... I guess I get what you are saying, but I think I disagree a little. I mean grounding a child to his/her room for a period of time seems to work great in many cases. I know it did for me as a child and there is/was no bitterness between my parents & I.

What do you use as punishment? 

Quoting abra:

I don't think punishments that take forever are a good idea. Ideally, punishments should be controlled, calm and as quick as possible. Drawing them out leads to bitterness.

letlovegrow2524
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Ohhh good question!

What about for younger kids mine are 3 1/2 and almost 2. I'm so tired of them fighting and kicking, punching, hitting, biting, pulling each other's hair. It's all day long and drives me crazy! I make my oldest stand in the corner but no way I could get me 2 year old to even sit in time out. I find myself taking whatever they were fighting over away but then they just find something else or sending them to bed. I don't want to spank them and I'm sick of yelling at them I feel like that's how my days are spent yelling =/

I'm sure taking notes for when they are older though! =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN