Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Obesity Alone May Not Hurt Kids' Classroom Performance

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

Obesity Alone May Not Hurt Kids' Classroom Performance

Study suggests that socioeconomic, genetic factors have greater effect

July 13, 2012 RSS Feed Print

FRIDAY, July 13 (HealthDay News) -- Being obese does not affect children's school performance, according to a new British study.

Researchers at the University of York analyzed data from nearly 4,000 participants in the Children of the '90s Birth Cohort Study.

"We sought to test whether obesity directly hinders performance due to bullying or health problems, or whether kids who are obese do less well because of other factors that are associated with both obesity and lower exam results, such as coming from a disadvantaged family," study author Stephanie von Hinke Kessler Scholder said in news release from the United Kingdom's Economic and Social Research Council, which funded the study.

"Based on a simple correlation between children's obesity, as measured by their fat mass, and their exam results, we found that heavier children did do slightly worse in school," Scholder said.

"But when we used children's genetic markers to account for other factors, we found no evidence that obesity causally affects exam results," she said. "So we conclude that obesity is not a major factor affecting children's educational outcomes."

Previous studies have found a link between obesity and poorer grades. These new findings suggest that this may be due to issues that affect both weight and academic performance, including socioeconomic factors such as whether a child's family is poor, Scholder said.

"Clearly there are reasons why there are differences in educational outcomes, but our research shows that obesity is not one of them," she concluded.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about overweight and obese children.

Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2012/07/13/obesity-alone-may-not-hurt-kids-classroom-performance

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Tfs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I think studies trying to link education with obesity, socioeconomics, etc are silly. Some kids like school and learn very easily. Some do not. JMHO 

bethany169
by Bethany on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:28 PM
To some extent, I agree. But even the smartest kid is going to be more likely to have trouble in school if there is abuse at home, or they live in a slum, or the parents have trouble putting food on the table.

In Milwaukee, where I grew up, MPS has a 54% dropout rate and it's one of the most segrated cities in the nation with 20% unemployment in the inner city. I don't think anyone can argue that 54% of the kids in the city hate school and just have trouble learning, there are obviously some other serious factors at play and they're affecting a lot of kids...

Quoting sarah824:

I think studies trying to link education with obesity, socioeconomics, etc are silly. Some kids like school and learn very easily. Some do not. JMHO 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 7:07 AM

I was kinda thinking the same thing.

Quoting sarah824:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN