Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschooler refuses to take medicine .

Posted by   + Show Post
My 3 year old has an ear infection. She refuses to take medicine and even stopped eating solid food . We tried everything including force feeding medicine , but nothing works. We're canceling her birthday party this week as it doesn't look like she's going to get better anytime soon. Anybody been through this ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Replies (131-138):
gracieb3
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Yes. Stick to dosing it. Since force isn't working try either in her sleep quickly followed by juice via a straw or bargaining with a drink to chase it after. You other option is to tell her to take the medicine or go to doctor for shots. Then call doctor to set up nurse visit for roceftin shots. 

gracieb3
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Just reading all the crush it, mix it, etc suggestions. Do no do this unless you confirm with pharmacist that the form you have can be done this way. Medications come in certain form that may not have meds evenly distributed in pill or may require form be ingested as made for time release of delivery. 

NiRi
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Thanks everyone....although we've tried bribes,rewards,adding to juice,threat of a shot and yes ,pinning her down as well ,this thread has been enlightening . It's good to know too, that I'm not alone in this.
NaturalMamaCZ
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Quoting bethany169:

Yes, there are so many good homeopathic and herbal remedies that don't harm our natural immune systems. And, for anyone who doesn't know....garlic infused oil is what she is talking about NOT Garlic essential oil. Just in case, because garlic essential oil is a very powerful substance that can burn holes through skin...you would not put that in an ear.
timon95
by Betty on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Quoting sarah824:

No help here. Both of my kids have always taken medicine well. 

Maybe mix it in her juice/water/milk? 

family car

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I have not, my girls love medicines. Eww, I know. I have never had trouble giving them their meds....other than the liquid multi-vitamin drops when they were babies, they hated those. I did too so that was a no-go.

irenekot
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

There is an antibiotic in the form of a shot.  When my kids were throwing up uncontrollably because of a serious ear infection and all medicine was immediately returned back, the doctor did the shot.  Antibiotic started working and after vomiting subsided, oral medications were given.

Ask your pediatrician if they would administer a shot in the office.  Kids hate shots.  Believe me that after that one shot, she would be taking any medication orally.  You will just have to remind her from time to time that if she does not, there is always a shot available.

omaha1976
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Try mixing it w/suugar water, if she still wont take it on a spoon, try putting the mixture into a plastic syringe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)