Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Father dashes Make-A-Wish dream for daughter

Whitney Hughes and daughter McKenna May (Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune)The mother and grandmother of 4-year-old McKenna May, who survived leukemia, are collecting money to get the little Ohio girl to Disney World after her father nixed a Make-A-Wish trip to the theme park.

McKenna's father, William May of Toledo, said using Make-A-Wish money for a child who is "free and clear" of illness is an improper use of donations made to the organization. "I think it should go to kids who only have six months to live," he told the Sentinel-Tribune of Bowling Green, Ohio.

The charity requires that parents have to sign off for a child to accept a trip.

After going through two years of cancer treatment that included spinal taps, chemotherapy and hospitalizations because of reactions to the treatments, McKenna's mother, Whitney Hughes, and grandmother, Lori Helppie, feel she deserves the trip.

So they've pulled their family's request with Make-A-Wish and are placing collection jars around the community to raise the needed $3,500 to fund the trip on their own.

The important thing is to get her there," Helppie told the newspaper. "She loves Mickey Mouse. She loves Cinderella." "She's really excited," Hughes said. "It's all she's talked about for the last three months."

Helppie and Hughes are outraged at May's refusal and claim McKenna's father is just trying to get back at them over visitation privileges. May was just granted visitation earlier this year, according to the Sentinel-Tribune.

The father, however, blames McKenna's mother and grandmother for keeping him from seeing his daughter. "I wasn't allowed to be involved," May said. "It ticked me off."

Susan McConnell, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, said that McKenna clearly qualifies for a wish since she has gone through so much in her two-year struggle to beat leukemia, the newspaper reported.

McConnell said it is unfortunate that the family yanked their request for a wish since the father wouldn't sign off. "She's been through a lot," she said of McKenna. "What I really feel bad about is she is stuck in the middle."

What do you think of this? Who do you agree with?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Replies (321-330):
GaleJ
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:06 PM
3 moms liked this

I am beginning to believe that those who wish to become or are becoming parents should all be required to sign an agreement styled after the idea of a pre-nup. The agreement would cover the various aspects of raising a child, education, religion, discipline, parenting philosophy, parental obligations, as well as anything else of concern to the prospective parents and would be legally binding until the child's coming of age irrespective of the parents relationship to each other. This would eliminate all the destructive behaviors of parents using their children to take pot shots at one another in the event of divorce and custody battles. Perhaps if such an agreement would have been in place for this couple it might have prevented this sad debacle that denied a small child who has endured so much a trip to Disney World and a bit of fun, the memory of which may have been able to replace the memories of the medical treatments she had to endure.

PinkParadox
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM

This.  I'm not saying she didn't "deserve" the trip...but, that money can go to a child that is dying and doesn't have the time for their family to "save" the money.

Quoting wonderouslife84:

i think the father is in the right on this one.. let the family get the money for her to go and let the money from make a wish go some where else its needed... 

mamaeagle216
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM
DICK MOVE!!! Your baby has battled cancer and won and you don't think she deserves a trip to effing Disney world. I wish I could meet this POS.
JJK305
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Quoting PinkParadox:

This.  I'm not saying she didn't "deserve" the trip...but, that money can go to a child that is dying and doesn't have the time for their family to "save" the money.

Quoting wonderouslife84:

i think the father is in the right on this one.. let the family get the money for her to go and let the money from make a wish go some where else its needed... 

Please read my long post 2 pages ago. NO CHILD is denied a wish that qualifies PERIOD! She is not taking money/wishes away from other children. PERIOD. No other dying child is not getting their wish.

Why do people keep saying this even though it's been pointed out to be wrong several times?

barker235
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM

SINCE THE FOUNDATION AGREES THE CHILD QUALIFIES, LET HER GO.  THAT FATHER SOUNDS LIKE A SELFISH, CRUEL AND VINDICTIVE PERSON. I WOULDN'T WANT HIM TO HAVE VISITATION RIGHTS , EITHER. WHAT A JERK.

elisesmom922
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM

i think the dad is acting like a jerk. There is no guarantee that her cancer won't come back, and at 4, she probably doesn't get her mom telling her why she can't go. This is not a way to "get even".

kstchr
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think that was an awfully selfish thing the father did, and it sounds like he's just being spiteful to his ex! Like someone else said, if the M-A-Wish foundation wasn't concerned about it, then why is he making a big deal out of it. At the very least he could fork over some money to pay for his daughter's dream trip after all she's been through!

ItsAZooInHere
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think if I was the judge who recently allowed him visitation, I would be revisiting that decision.  What a douche!  That shows he does not have his child's best interests at heart and is parenting solely to affect the child's mom.  And actually, Make-a-wish is for kids who are sick within a certain criteria, not for kids who are dying.  They include children who survive bc usually the illnesses take a financial toll on the family and they want to be able to do nice things for the kids and family who survive too...

TealRose1
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

A number of years back in the UK, my friend's teen son died of cancer.  He had been waiting to go on a similar trip to Disney etc with his family - mum, dad and older brother - but he died suddenly.  It was just a few months later that he was due to go on the trip.  The organisation involved - sent mum, dad and older brother on the trip anyway - saying it wasn't JUST for the victim of cancer - it was for the whole family as ALL of them were affected by it.  It had them in tears of love .... it was the loving thing to do.  And NO ONE who had another child sick complained or thought it wrong.  

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do no inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. Ancient Indian Proverb
PinkParadox
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Look, I didn't read all the replies. This is MY opinion...period. Maybe he didn't know the money wouldn't go to other children. Maybe he actually thought he was doing the right thing. Either, do not be hateful to me.

Quoting JJK305:

Quoting PinkParadox:

Quoting wonderouslife84:

Please read my long post 2 pages ago. NO CHILD is denied a wish that qualifies PERIOD! She is not taking money/wishes away from other children. PERIOD. No other dying child is not getting their wish.

Why do people keep saying this even though it's been pointed out to be wrong several times?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN