Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Father dashes Make-A-Wish dream for daughter

Whitney Hughes and daughter McKenna May (Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune)The mother and grandmother of 4-year-old McKenna May, who survived leukemia, are collecting money to get the little Ohio girl to Disney World after her father nixed a Make-A-Wish trip to the theme park.

McKenna's father, William May of Toledo, said using Make-A-Wish money for a child who is "free and clear" of illness is an improper use of donations made to the organization. "I think it should go to kids who only have six months to live," he told the Sentinel-Tribune of Bowling Green, Ohio.

The charity requires that parents have to sign off for a child to accept a trip.

After going through two years of cancer treatment that included spinal taps, chemotherapy and hospitalizations because of reactions to the treatments, McKenna's mother, Whitney Hughes, and grandmother, Lori Helppie, feel she deserves the trip.

So they've pulled their family's request with Make-A-Wish and are placing collection jars around the community to raise the needed $3,500 to fund the trip on their own.

The important thing is to get her there," Helppie told the newspaper. "She loves Mickey Mouse. She loves Cinderella." "She's really excited," Hughes said. "It's all she's talked about for the last three months."

Helppie and Hughes are outraged at May's refusal and claim McKenna's father is just trying to get back at them over visitation privileges. May was just granted visitation earlier this year, according to the Sentinel-Tribune.

The father, however, blames McKenna's mother and grandmother for keeping him from seeing his daughter. "I wasn't allowed to be involved," May said. "It ticked me off."

Susan McConnell, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, said that McKenna clearly qualifies for a wish since she has gone through so much in her two-year struggle to beat leukemia, the newspaper reported.

McConnell said it is unfortunate that the family yanked their request for a wish since the father wouldn't sign off. "She's been through a lot," she said of McKenna. "What I really feel bad about is she is stuck in the middle."

What do you think of this? Who do you agree with?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Replies (471-477):
coolmom1999
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I think he is being a very selfish person and I'm deeply saddened that he would do something so cruel to his young child. that is not love; that is control. shame on you!

kelliewhitney
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM

What a di.......you know what!

BeanieBlue
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM

You're missing the bigger picture here! He didn't act selflessly. What he did by refusing the trip was EXTREMELY selfish. He said it himself...he was angry because he's not included in the little girl's life hardly at all so he did it to get back at the mother.

Besides...just because she is in remission, it sooooooo does NOT mean she 'cured'!!! I had a cousin who suffered from Leukemia. He was in and out of remission 4 times over a 10 year period. The 5th time out of remission was the beginning of the end. His body wasn't strong enough to fight it anymore. He passed away 6 years ago, at the age of 38.  Imagine how hard that would be on a 4 year-old body!

This baby fought for her life for 2 years and endured being poked by countless needles and enduring scary, painful treatments and tests. I'd say she's earned an all expense paid trip to Disney! Her father is a horse's ass!!

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

no i dont.  i think that they dad is saying - pay it forward - my girl is better.... we will find a way to get her there.
i get his idea.
i also see absolutely nothing wrong with this little girl going...as a celebration!
either way.. some kid will get their wish. 
i dont think anyone really did anything wrong here. that little girls is going to disney - we all know it.  how that happens is via 3 methods - they accet the MWF donation, the pass that donation on to anther child and pay for it themselvs, or they pass it on and the loving public pays for them to go.

Quoting MockingJay:

Do you really think a childs wish should be revolked when they applied before knowing the child would go into remission? 

What happens if she comes out of remission, would it not be cruel to get her hopes up again, and then take it back away if she goes into remission again? 

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i think he is thinking selflessly... thinking that the kids who really are terminal shoudl receive the donation/gift and that his own daughter does have and will have opportunity to go another time since she is in remission - unlike many of the other kids who are wishing for a trip to Disney.
and i am sure that the public donations will take care of her trip  - whats interesting is that many of the people who will contribute to sending this girl to Disney will be people who have never before thought to donate to Make-a-Wish... theyre only getting invloved cause they think the dad is wrong.

sha_lyn68
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Her mom is a selfish bitch and it is the mothers actions that caused all of this. Mom is a woman scorned because she didn't get her way when the father wouldn't leave his wife for her when she got pregnant. When this little girl was fighting for her life and needed to be surrounded by people who love her, the mom refused to let dad into her life. When both parents could be there by her side, mom made certain they had to battle it out for dad to have any rights. Now that the little girl is better, mom has hinted that she'll move away to keep dad out of the little girls life. Dad has flat out said that he is afraid that mom will use the trip to move to Florida.  Mom brought all this on, yet most women here don't see that. They think mothers can do no wrong and that men are the spawns of Satan.

Quoting BeanieBlue:

You're missing the bigger picture here! He didn't act selflessly. What he did by refusing the trip was EXTREMELY selfish. He said it himself...he was angry because he's not included in the little girl's life hardly at all so he did it to get back at the mother.

Besides...just because she is in remission, it sooooooo does NOT mean she 'cured'!!! I had a cousin who suffered from Leukemia. He was in and out of remission 4 times over a 10 year period. The 5th time out of remission was the beginning of the end. His body wasn't strong enough to fight it anymore. He passed away 6 years ago, at the age of 38.  Imagine how hard that would be on a 4 year-old body!

This baby fought for her life for 2 years and endured being poked by countless needles and enduring scary, painful treatments and tests. I'd say she's earned an all expense paid trip to Disney! Her father is a horse's ass!!

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

no i dont.  i think that they dad is saying - pay it forward - my girl is better.... we will find a way to get her there.
i get his idea.
i also see absolutely nothing wrong with this little girl going...as a celebration!
either way.. some kid will get their wish. 
i dont think anyone really did anything wrong here. that little girls is going to disney - we all know it.  how that happens is via 3 methods - they accet the MWF donation, the pass that donation on to anther child and pay for it themselvs, or they pass it on and the loving public pays for them to go.

Quoting MockingJay:

Do you really think a childs wish should be revolked when they applied before knowing the child would go into remission? 

What happens if she comes out of remission, would it not be cruel to get her hopes up again, and then take it back away if she goes into remission again? 

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i think he is thinking selflessly... thinking that the kids who really are terminal shoudl receive the donation/gift and that his own daughter does have and will have opportunity to go another time since she is in remission - unlike many of the other kids who are wishing for a trip to Disney.
and i am sure that the public donations will take care of her trip  - whats interesting is that many of the people who will contribute to sending this girl to Disney will be people who have never before thought to donate to Make-a-Wish... theyre only getting invloved cause they think the dad is wrong.

sarah824
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

This is how I feel too! No one wants to see that mom was wrong in how she handled dad on this. How in the world could ANY mother deny a father from seeing his daughter during a time like that?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Her mom is a selfish bitch and it is the mothers actions that caused all of this. Mom is a woman scorned because she didn't get her way when the father wouldn't leave his wife for her when she got pregnant. When this little girl was fighting for her life and needed to be surrounded by people who love her, the mom refused to let dad into her life. When both parents could be there by her side, mom made certain they had to battle it out for dad to have any rights. Now that the little girl is better, mom has hinted that she'll move away to keep dad out of the little girls life. Dad has flat out said that he is afraid that mom will use the trip to move to Florida.  Mom brought all this on, yet most women here don't see that. They think mothers can do no wrong and that men are the spawns of Satan.

Harris06
by Megan on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm with both of you on this. I hate the mentality that mothers are always right and fathers are just stupid pieces of shit.

Quoting sarah824:

This is how I feel too! No one wants to see that mom was wrong in how she handled dad on this. How in the world could ANY mother deny a father from seeing his daughter during a time like that?

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

amazingmama2013
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:28 PM

this little girl has been through so much and is unfair that she is stuck in the middle .........she fought or her life and wo that battle and she had a hard life for two years should she not get the chance to go to a place where that would be the last thing on everyones mind? the father needs to get a grip

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN