Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Father dashes Make-A-Wish dream for daughter

Whitney Hughes and daughter McKenna May (Enoch Wu/Sentinel-Tribune)The mother and grandmother of 4-year-old McKenna May, who survived leukemia, are collecting money to get the little Ohio girl to Disney World after her father nixed a Make-A-Wish trip to the theme park.

McKenna's father, William May of Toledo, said using Make-A-Wish money for a child who is "free and clear" of illness is an improper use of donations made to the organization. "I think it should go to kids who only have six months to live," he told the Sentinel-Tribune of Bowling Green, Ohio.

The charity requires that parents have to sign off for a child to accept a trip.

After going through two years of cancer treatment that included spinal taps, chemotherapy and hospitalizations because of reactions to the treatments, McKenna's mother, Whitney Hughes, and grandmother, Lori Helppie, feel she deserves the trip.

So they've pulled their family's request with Make-A-Wish and are placing collection jars around the community to raise the needed $3,500 to fund the trip on their own.

The important thing is to get her there," Helppie told the newspaper. "She loves Mickey Mouse. She loves Cinderella." "She's really excited," Hughes said. "It's all she's talked about for the last three months."

Helppie and Hughes are outraged at May's refusal and claim McKenna's father is just trying to get back at them over visitation privileges. May was just granted visitation earlier this year, according to the Sentinel-Tribune.

The father, however, blames McKenna's mother and grandmother for keeping him from seeing his daughter. "I wasn't allowed to be involved," May said. "It ticked me off."

Susan McConnell, president and CEO of Make-A-Wish for Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, said that McKenna clearly qualifies for a wish since she has gone through so much in her two-year struggle to beat leukemia, the newspaper reported.

McConnell said it is unfortunate that the family yanked their request for a wish since the father wouldn't sign off. "She's been through a lot," she said of McKenna. "What I really feel bad about is she is stuck in the middle."

What do you think of this? Who do you agree with?

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Replies (121-130):
circle_of_life
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Make a Wish has criteria for qualifying for a reason. If she meets the criteria, then she has a right to go! Are you saying you know better who should get a trip through make a wish than they do?

Quoting aviatioNation:

She should be able to. But MaW shouldn't pay for it. Why should little Timmy, whose actually going to die from his cancer, have to miss out on having his wish granted so this little girl, who is going to live, can get hers? There are other ways to get the money for this girl to go to Disneyland. She's not on a time limit like little Timmy is.

Quoting circle_of_life:

The kid went through hell. I've seen first hand how horrific cancer treatments can be for a child. She clearly qualifies through make a wish, so why shouldn't she be able to have her wish granted?

Quoting aviatioNation:

I agree with the dad. That money is to grant children their dying wish. This little girl isn't dying. She'll be able to go at a later date.

circle_of_life
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

So the kid almost dies of cancer. Spends months and months enduring grueling horrible cancer treatments. Finally gets well after going through hell, make a wish qualifies her to go on a fun vacation and he won't let her, because he doesn't think she was sick enough? yeah, he's a douche.

Quoting CABZS:

So he's a douche bc he didn't want to take something he didn't feel right taking just bc it was his daughter?

Idk, I teach my kids to stand up for the beliefs no matter what.

I've taken a lot of things away from my kids, a few things bc I knew another child needed it more.  Were my kids a bit upset? I am sure, but in talking to them they understood & now as they are growing they think about others & have given up things all on their own.

Quoting jagamama0710:

I never said he didn't have a right to believe that. In my previous comment I state that I can understand it from an outsider's point of view. The fact that he did it to his own daughter though makes him an unbelievable douche bag in my eyes, and I do have the right to believe that about him as well. All said and done, it doesn't matter whether the mom and grandma are being just or not. He took away his kids' trip. He's a dick.

Quoting CABZS:

We don't know why he is doing it.

He gave his reason, mother gave another reason painting him a bad guy.

What I see is a mom & grandma denying a father to be w/his DD thru this hell of an ordeal for her.  Her reasons couldn't have been very valid when the courts did not side w/her.  Many mom's have "reasons" and they are mean & vindictive & not in the best interest of the child.

He says he feels it is for kids who are actually going to die.  I can see people thinking that.  I don't feel that way, the medical costs drain people & this little girl went thru so much, she does deserve to go.  But if this is his actual belief he has a right to that.

But you are assuming he is being vindictive towards his DD bc that is what the mom is saying.

How is the mother not a bitch for being selfish & keeping the child & father apart all this time?  She needed her dad!

Quoting jagamama0710:

The very fact that he would do something like this to his daughter tips me off to thinking that perhaps the mother had a very good reason for not letting him see her. He sounds like an ass of major proportions.

Quoting Pnukey:

I agree with the dad. Even if he is doing it purely out of retaliation, it's the mom's fault for not letting the dad see the kid and be involved with something very major in her life! I would not donate to the mom's cause here. If she wants to take her kid, she can save the money or stop being a beotch and allow the dad access to his kid.

nova.mommy
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I agree.  The father is teaching his child/children that it is not right to take advantage of charity.  He is not denying her the trip, he just doesn't feel that it is right to use Make A Wish funds for it since she is better.

Not allowing a father visitation when the child(4 year old DD in this case) when she is sick is much worse then a delay in a trip.

Quoting wonderouslife84:

i think the father is in the right on this one.. let the family get the money for her to go and let the money from make a wish go some where else its needed... 

TommyAbby
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you freakin kidding me?!?! My son had Leukemia also...He is now considered cured, but apparently YOU don't realize that it can come back. The chance is ALWAYS there. This little girl will have to have yearly blood work to moniter her to make sure she stays cured. This isn't OVER and DONE with.. this is now a life long battle to make sure she stays this way. Yes, Money is limited, but even with $5k, I am sure she could have done something fantastic. When we did MAW, the child has to make 2 wishes: One they TRULY want and one as a back up if they can't make that wish happen.  How dare you demean this poor girl's diagnosis!!

Quoting insaneygolover:

I agee with the dad, a child who is free and clear of any illness should not be granted a wish. Not when their is so many other kids, money is limited and the application takes a very very long time. When my friend got her wish, she was 17 years old and dying. She wanted to go to Japan. The make-a-wish foundation could not grant her wish but instead gave her a $5,000 shopping spree at west edmonton mall. She passed away in April at 19. Cystic Fiberosis really sucks. We had talked about this at length when she was still alive.

The truth is this child has her whole life ahead of her, she will not die in a few months or days or years due to illness. There are so many other kids that need wishes too.

funny_girl3
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I feel sad for the little girl.  I think she's been through hell and she deserves some pampering now.  I think it's a little unreasonable for her mom to be asking for handouts for her family to go to disney world.  $3500 for a trip to disney?  Sorry, but I took 4 people for a week long trip to disney world for a  lot less than that.

CABZS
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

But that is his belief.  He can't see taking something when he feels it is for children that are dying.  The money for her trip can go to someone that is dying instead of taking away from someoen that is dying & may never see their wish come true.  I can see his pov. 

I didn't say I agree w/it though.  I think make a wish is for those that are dying & almost died.  But that is my belief.

Quoting circle_of_life:

So the kid almost dies of cancer. Spends months and months enduring grueling horrible cancer treatments. Finally gets well after going through hell, make a wish qualifies her to go on a fun vacation and he won't let her, because he doesn't think she was sick enough? yeah, he's a douche.

Quoting CABZS:

So he's a douche bc he didn't want to take something he didn't feel right taking just bc it was his daughter?

I've taken a lot of things away from my kids, a few things bc I knew another child needed it more.  Were my kids a bit upset? I am sure, but in talking to them they understood & now as they are growing they think about others & have given up things all on their own.

Quoting jagamama0710:

I never said he didn't have a right to believe that. In my previous comment I state that I can understand it from an outsider's point of view. The fact that he did it to his own daughter though makes him an unbelievable douche bag in my eyes, and I do have the right to believe that about him as well. All said and done, it doesn't matter whether the mom and grandma are being just or not. He took away his kids' trip. He's a dick.

Quoting CABZS:

What I see is a mom & grandma denying a father to be w/his DD thru this hell of an ordeal for her.  Her reasons couldn't have been very valid when the courts did not side w/her.  Many mom's have "reasons" and they are mean & vindictive & not in the best interest of the child.

He says he feels it is for kids who are actually going to die.  I can see people thinking that.  I don't feel that way, the medical costs drain people & this little girl went thru so much, she does deserve to go.  But if this is his actual belief he has a right to that.

But you are assuming he is being vindictive towards his DD bc that is what the mom is saying.

How is the mother not a bitch for being selfish & keeping the child & father apart all this time?  She needed her dad!

Quoting jagamama0710:

The very fact that he would do something like this to his daughter tips me off to thinking that perhaps the mother had a very good reason for not letting him see her. He sounds like an ass of major proportions.

Quoting Pnukey:

I agree with the dad. Even if he is doing it purely out of retaliation, it's the mom's fault for not letting the dad see the kid and be involved with something very major in her life! I would not donate to the mom's cause here. If she wants to take her kid, she can save the money or stop being a beotch and allow the dad access to his kid.

aviatioNation
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM

The criteria states that a child must have a life threatening illness. The only reason this little girl wasn't deemed ineligible after recovery is to avoid negative publicity which would cost MaW a lot of money.

Quoting circle_of_life:

Make a Wish has criteria for qualifying for a reason. If she meets the criteria, then she has a right to go! Are you saying you know better who should get a trip through make a wish than they do?

Quoting aviatioNation:

She should be able to. But MaW shouldn't pay for it. Why should little Timmy, whose actually going to die from his cancer, have to miss out on having his wish granted so this little girl, who is going to live, can get hers? There are other ways to get the money for this girl to go to Disneyland. She's not on a time limit like little Timmy is.

Quoting circle_of_life:

The kid went through hell. I've seen first hand how horrific cancer treatments can be for a child. She clearly qualifies through make a wish, so why shouldn't she be able to have her wish granted?

Quoting aviatioNation:

I agree with the dad. That money is to grant children their dying wish. This little girl isn't dying. She'll be able to go at a later date.

TommyAbby
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

That isn't correct.. even Make A Wish argues that point.

Quoting Dardenella:

Make a wish is a dying wish foundation

not a living wish foundation.  Her gift is the gift of life.

If the mother/ family want to go the by all means save the money and go. Has the child been through a lot yes.  Does she deserve the trip?  NO.

jagamama0710
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Bottom line, if that's truly his belief, then yes, he is a douche for that. Plenty of people have beliefs that I feel make them assholes. This is one of this instances for me. If that really is his true reason for doing it, anyway. I did say I can understand the point of view, if it was an outsider. I can, although I don't agree with it. But he did this to his own child and that right there is what makes him an ass. 

I don't understand why you know that his child went through hell and was granted a wish, and he took it away and you find nothing wrong with that. 

And no, taking toys or what have you away from your children for discipline or for their health/safety is not even in the same realm as denying your child her make a wish trip. 

Quoting CABZS:

But that is his belief.  He can't see taking something when he feels it is for children that are dying.  The money for her trip can go to someone that is dying instead of taking away from someoen that is dying & may never see their wish come true.  I can see his pov. 

I didn't say I agree w/it though.  I think make a wish is for those that are dying & almost died.  But that is my belief.

Quoting circle_of_life:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting jagamama0710:

Quoting CABZS:

Quoting jagamama0710:

Quoting Pnukey:

AllofFive19
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Helppie and Hughes are outraged at May's refusal and claim McKenna's father is just trying to get back at them over visitation privileges. May was just granted visitation earlier this year, according to the Sentinel-Tribune.

The father, however, blames McKenna's mother and grandmother for keeping him from seeing his daughter. "I wasn't allowed to be involved," May said. "It ticked me off."

^^That was his response to Mom's and Grandma's claim that he was just trying to get back at them. But he said he feels that these should go to kids who are dying. His daughter is not dying at the moment.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong... I still feel that he should've allowed her to go, and then helped to pay them back for the visit... but a lot of moms seem to believe it is out of spite when we don't know.

Quoting acrogodess:

According to the article this is what the dad says

Quoting AllofFive19:

ORLY?

Quoting acrogodess:

I'm not going by what grandma and mom say.
Quoting AllofFive19:

So Mom and Grandma says. 

Quoting acrogodess:

He isn't doing it out of a generous heart. He is doing it to spite the mom and grandmother for "denying him visitation".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)