Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

What are your kids' favorite vegetables?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM
  • 15 Replies

Kids & Veggies Go Together Better Than You Think

Posted by Adriana Velez on July 17, 2012 

brocccoliIt's time to put this ridiculous myth to rest: Kids don't like eating vegetables. That's a bunch of baloney! Plenty of kids actually do like eating veggies, and now there's a survey to prove it. Researchers talked with 500 families and found that 83 percent of the kids actually had a "favorite" vegetable. Not just a veg they can stand eating, but one they actually like.

Now here's the really interesting part: About half of the kids surveyed named the same vegetable as their favorite as their moms did. So moms, we may have some influence on which veggies our kids like. Do kids inherit our taste or are they just swayed by what they see us enjoying? Or as my mom would say, "Monkey see, monkey do." And which veggies come out on top?

Who knows how much veggie preference is inherited and how much is taught. It's probably a little bit of both. It does seem like super-picky kids tend to have at least one super-picky parent (even if the other parent is a total omnivore), so it doesn't surprise me that many kids have the same favorite veggie as their moms do. As for the top veggies, corn and broccoli top the list.

• Corn (32.2%)
  • Broccoli (29.4%)
  • Carrots (23.2%)
  • Green beans (17.2%)
  • Potatoes (11.8%)
  • Tomatoes (11.4)

I know my son loves broccoli, too. But we've kind of burned out on it a few times so it's good to have a few in rotation. He also loves green beans, cucumbers, and kale -- but only the way I cook it (why?). And he loves tomatoes, which is great because we've got about 20 tomato plants all ripening right now.

I bet a lot of you could name a few vegetables your kid likes to eat, too. Where did we even get this idea that kids hate veggies? I just told my son the story about Popeye and how he used to eat spinach from a can and I thought, Wow, if that's how people used to get their vegetables, no wonder they were so unpopular. I say, get 'em while they're young. If we just feed kids veggies like they're delicious, it may not even occur to them that they're "supposed to" hate veggies.

Anyway, full disclosure: this study was funded by the frozen veggies company Birdseye, so, you know ... big surprise that they found out kids like vegetables. Still, there are worse things that doing research to promote veggie-eating. And since it's the middle of summer there's no reason to buy frozen veggies because we're surrounded by super-fresh ones.

What are your kids' favorite vegetables?

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Each of my children have their own fav veggies.  But the major veggie players in our house are potatoes, broccoli, carrots, and green beans.

Hippy Chic~

A Perfect Me Quote GraphicDon't Lose Hope Quote Graphic

soccerchik8287
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM

My daughter likes raw broccoli and tomatoes the best! She likes pretty much all of them though except lima beans, and squash

abra
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:59 PM
carrots, celery, broccoli, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, corn, tomatos.... my kids love them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My son likes broccoli, carrots and corn. My daughter will eat corn if strongly advised to, and carrots. Other than that, nothing. 

sarah824
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM

DD loves them all. Corn on the cob, cauliflower and mushrooms are her faves.

DS hates them all, but will eat split pea soup and tomato soup. 

sarah824
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

...strongly advised to... LOL 

Quoting countrymomma81:

My son likes broccoli, carrots and corn. My daughter will eat corn if strongly advised to, and carrots. Other than that, nothing. 

countrymomma81
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

LOL, that's a nice way of saying we have to make her. I know she eats it, that's why I don't just let it go. If I knew she wouldn't eat it I'd leave her alone. 

Quoting sarah824:

Quoting countrymomma81:

sarah824
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, I get it... We don't force DS to eat veggies. It is too much of a fight and he is healthy anyway so what's the point. The last time we fought him on it he almost puked all over the dinner table. Ruined dinner for everyone. 

Quoting countrymomma81:

LOL, that's a nice way of saying we have to make her. I know she eats it, that's why I don't just let it go. If I knew she wouldn't eat it I'd leave her alone. 

Quoting sarah824:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Colliefarmgirl
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

My son once cried when we ran out of broccoli and my 2yr old likes salad but hates potatoes. They are odd children, but I'm keeping 'em anyway. ;)

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:02 PM
My kids love salad. They will eat most veggies. They do not like tomato though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)