Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

epidemic!!** little edit**

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM
  • 24 Replies

So the U.S. is currently facing its worstwhooping cough epidemic in over 50 years, and while I'm disturbed, I'm not particularly surprised. Whooping cough was the reason why I made the decision to get my daughter vaccinated 11 years ago. The vaccination debate was just hitting red-hot status back then, and I wasn't sure what to do when Charlotte was born.

On the one hand, as someone with more faith in natural and alternative approaches to health than traditional medicine, I was inclined to think maybe there was some truth to the autism/vaccine connection. On the other hand, as a new mom in a big city (Manhattan) who never wanted her baby to get sick, ever, I was inclined to innoculate against everything possible.

So I asked my pediatrician at the time (Dr. Marie Sanford, she was amazing!) to level with me: Which was theriskier choice?

I will never forget what she told me.

"Look, I'm not discounting the research about vaccines or saying there are absolutely no side effects, but I've never seen any child develop problems firsthand," she said.

"What I DO see, every year, are kids coming into the emergency room with whooping cough. And it's not pretty. In the U.S., we think of whooping cough as a disease that's been largely eradicated. But that's not true in other parts of the world, so ... especially in an international city like this ... it's conceivable that your baby could be exposed."

That was all I needed to hear. And now, over a decade later, Dr. Sanford's words seem almost prophetic. I'm not pointing fingers at specific parents or saying the anti-vax movement directly caused the whooping cough epidemic but there is definitely (obviously) a connection. The effectiveness of the whooping cough vaccine relies on what's called “herd immunity," meaning that "If enough people are immune to the bacteria, then even if someone gets sick, the disease cannot easily spread through the community. This is especially true for very young infants, who are too young to be vaccinated and whose immune systems are not yet strong enough to defeat the bacteria on their own."

I guess personal choices can affect public health after all.

What do you think is behind the whooping cough epidemic?

adding a pic of my dd when she had it

this is right before we went home breathing room air and not oxygen

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 8:58 PM

So sad : (

JoJoBean8
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM
3 moms liked this
8/10 children who got whopping cough in the cali outbreak were vaccinated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I typed up a really long post about how I feel about vaccines and everything but decided it's far better to just say.  I vaccinate my son for his protection as he is a very sick child and easily goes to the ER once every few months with something that he needs an IV for or that will not respond to OTC meds and can't wait till the next day.  I respect everyone's right to do what they want with their children.  I hate when people tell me how to parent, so I won't tell other people how to parent.  It doesn't matter if I think it's right or wrong they should feel free and be free to make their own choices for their children.

Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM

i agree with you..both of my kids are vaccinated and both get sick...alot....but i posted this to let everyone become aware of whats going on and find ways to protect themselves...yes i guess it is blameing one group vs another but statistics show both vaccinated and non vaccinated kids get this....i almost lost my newborn baby to this disease so i have researched it alot and spent countless weeks in the hospital with her not to mention 4 months of coughing before it finally cleared up....im not judgeing or blameing any specific group

Quoting NicholasMama608:

I typed up a really long post about how I feel about vaccines and everything but decided it's far better to just say.  I vaccinate my son for his protection as he is a very sick child and easily goes to the ER once every few months with something that he needs an IV for or that will not respond to OTC meds and can't wait till the next day.  I respect everyone's right to do what they want with their children.  I hate when people tell me how to parent, so I won't tell other people how to parent.  It doesn't matter if I think it's right or wrong they should feel free and be free to make their own choices for their children.

NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were.  Sorry. I figured it was posted for informational purposes.  :)

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

i agree with you..both of my kids are vaccinated and both get sick...alot....but i posted this to let everyone become aware of whats going on and find ways to protect themselves...yes i guess it is blameing one group vs another but statistics show both vaccinated and non vaccinated kids get this....i almost lost my newborn baby to this disease so i have researched it alot and spent countless weeks in the hospital with her not to mention 4 months of coughing before it finally cleared up....im not judgeing or blameing any specific group

Quoting NicholasMama608:

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Fields456
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Quoting NicholasMama608:

I think that was well said I agree I hate when ppl tell me how I should do things when it comes to parenting my kids. And bash me for my. Choices
Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:48 PM

LOL...it's ok...i have had alot of members on here blame me for giveing it to my child(not the case ) and she had it in 2010 and really besides cali i havent heard much more about it until 2 days ago...its a scary disease..i should have picked a better artical so i can understand why you posted what you did...lol

Quoting NicholasMama608:

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were.  Sorry. I figured it was posted for informational purposes.  :)

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

Quoting NicholasMama608:

Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM

no bashing here!!!!! =o)

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting NicholasMama608:

I think that was well said I agree I hate when ppl tell me how I should do things when it comes to parenting my kids. And bash me for my. Choices

Fields456
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Quoting Audreesmommy757:

I know lol. But in a bother groups post about this all that is going on seems to be bashing from both sides
Audreesmommy757
by Diana lynn on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

i thought about that when i posted it...not the best artical  but i wanted to just let others know its getting bad and to try and prevent it..i almost lost my dd to it so i know first hand how it can wreak havoc on little kids or just about anyone...

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting Audreesmommy757:

I know lol. But in a bother groups post about this all that is going on seems to be bashing from both sides

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN