Do you know what to do if your child ingests poison?
What to do when kids ingest poison
Many common household items can be dangerous if they fall into the wrong hands.
A viewer emailed this question to Dr. Manny Alvarez:
What should a parent do if they think their child has ingested poison? Should I induce vomiting or wait until I see symptoms before taking them to the hospital?
Dr. Manny said this situation can happen to any parent. If you think your child has swallowed a poisonous substance, you should definitely call your poison control center right away.
He said to look for symptoms like:
- Abdominal pain
- Difficulty breathing
It is important to seek medical attention immediately, Dr. Manny said.
For more information on this topic, Dr. Manny spoke to Dr. Michael Lucchesi, chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in New York.
“Call your local poison control center, and have the product with you,” Lucchesi said. “They are going to ask you exactly what you took, and you can read it off the product. If you have taken something of significance, you will be asked to seek emergency care.”
Lucchesi said you should never induce vomiting on your own and don’t try to neutralize the product.
Always remember, prevention is the best way to keep your family safe.
If you have a question for Dr. Manny, email him at DrManny@foxnews.com.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/07/20/what-to-do-when-kids-ingest-poison/#ixzz21S1k4PY9