Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits
Does anyone have any good advice for a new mom? Anything would be greatly appreciated! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-13):
SixteenPregnant
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM
I am interested in hearing about that, I haven't really though about transporting the baby so that would be helpful. :)

Quoting NicholasMama608:

I've got a ton of car seat advice if you are interested.  :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicholasMama608
by Sarah on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:22 AM

OK well for starters, Join the car seat safety group here on CM.  They have great ladies that can help you with any question you have.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739/?ct=search_group

You are going to want to buy a brand new car seat and not a used one.  You don't know if the used one is safe or not. 

You will need and infant bucket seat, one with a base that stays in the car and you can detach the seat to take it out of the car. 

Do not put ANYTHING on the car seat that didn't come with it.  This includes toys, covers like the JJ Cole Bundle Me, Snow suits with buckle holes, thick coats, etc. 

Read the vehicle and car seat manual.  It will tell you how to use the seat and how to install it. 

Do NOT wash the harness straps but you can spot clean them.  Read the car seat manual for instructions on how to clean the car seat cover. 

Do not use a seat protector when installing your seat.  Some of them are very thick and can interfere with the installation of the car seat.

Your baby should stay rear facing until they outgrow a rear facing convertible seat(A seat that goes rear and forward facing) or at a minimum of 2yrs and 30lbs.  It is safer to stay rear facing as long as possible as it protects the head, neck and spine.

Make sure the seat is installed at a 45 degree angle to keep babies airway open.

Find a certified child passenger safety tech by going to:
 http://cert.safekids.org/Home/SeatCheckLocations.aspx
Click FIND A TECH

To keep baby in the proper position do not buy things like a "snuzzler" or body support.  You may use the insert that comes with your car seat but do not buy one if the seat did not come with one.  Use rolled reciving blankets to support the baby like this:

or like this

This is a good video showing how to put a baby in a car seat:

This is why you don't use snow suits or bundle me's or winter coats with car seats(this applies to your child at any time they are in a car seat):

This is a good pictoral guide to show how dangerous the Bundle Me really is:

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a5724415/my_bundle_me_experiment_with_photos

My Bundle Me experiment with photos

lullabymama ยท Pass a Note!
Posted 02/18/2009

I couldn't even get it on my KeyFit, so I'm using my sister's SR. 

Here are the pictures:

#1- The harness is as tight as I can possibly get it (no pinchable slack).  I had an equally car seat crazy mommy check it for me and she was thoroughly satisfied with how it fit.  Evie, however, senses it's inherent danger and reacts accordingly. ;-)

100_4988.jpg picture by LullabyMama

#2- What I'm not liking is how the harness is having to twist a bit to come out of the slots in the BM.

100_4989.jpg picture by LullabyMama

Pic #3- See how they have to kind of wrap around the slot?  It's re-routing the harness.  Quite significantly, IMO.

100_4992.jpg picture by LullabyMama

#4- Picture taken after I removed the BM.  I did not touch the harness.  By looks (on her one shoulder) it still appears to be tight, but look how much slack I was able to pinch.  Baby senses that some danger is now over, but is not confident in her complete safety.  Hence the semi-relieved, semi-worried look.

100_4994.jpg picture by LullabyMama

#5-  With the chest clip moved down to where most parents (IME) keep it, it was fairly easy to remove both arms from the harness. Baby is now completely terrified.

100_4995.jpg picture by LullabyMama

Quoting SixteenPregnant:

I am interested in hearing about that, I haven't really though about transporting the baby so that would be helpful. :)

Quoting NicholasMama608:

I've got a ton of car seat advice if you are interested.  :)

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
SixteenPregnant
by Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 1:07 AM
This helped TONS! Thanks so much! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN