Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Tatoos, pink hair and piercings oh my!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
  • 26 Replies

found on parents.com

We’ve all grown accustomed to the daring style statements of Will and Jada Pinkett Smith’s daughter, Willow. In the last year alone, the young celeb has been seen sporting sky-high platform shoes, bright green hair, and, as of late, a tongue piercing. Did we mention she’s only 11 years old?

The most recent cause of public uproar came when Willow instagrammed a picture of her and a friend proudly displaying their mouth piercings (there she is, at right). Turns out the piercing was a magnetic stud, but critics still questioned the Smiths’ lenient parenting style and its effect on their kids. In the past, Will has publicly defended his daughter’s choices, explaining that Willow is in control of her body and can decide what she does with it (including shaving her head). Though we’re all for nurturing a child’s independence, we can’t help but ask: When your child is 11, how much freedom is just too much?

It’s important to help your kid develop his individuality, even if that means occasionally giving in to his newfound “let me do it!” demands. Sure, allowing your youngster to wear his Halloween costume to the grocery store once is cute, but what if he insists on donning it every single day for a month? If you give in now, could that pave the way for a child to insist on hair dye or piercings (fake or otherwise) later? While we all want our children to learn to fly solo, we wonder where the line between self-sufficiency and complete autonomy lies, and how far parents are willing to go to let their kids feel independent.

If your child wanted to shave her head, dye her hair, or “pierce” her tongue, would you let her?

Hippy Chic~Yoga posing, vintage loving, baking, cooking, crafting, gardening, upcycling, reading, mommy of 3 and devoted wifey. 

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Piercings (besides DD's ears) and tattoos have to wait until they are 18 and can pay for them on their own.

As for the hair... Currently DS is wearing a blonde mohawk and DD has blonde streaks in her hair. DS is 7 and DD is 5 and they both have dark brown natural hair.

PensFan99
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:57 PM
I would let my kid dye her hair. Nit sure about shaving her whole head, but unsure about that. No body piercings till she was 18. And I already told my son, he can get ask the tattoos he wants once he is 18, I won't sign for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM
hair dying an piercing all depends on the age. those can all be changed back to the way it was before. Tattoos can wait untill they are older.
PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Tattoos not until 18

Piercing of anything other than ear not until 18

Fake piercings or magnatic ones i dont care because they are not permanent

As for hair it will always grow back and the color will fade i dont see the big deal

Luckily i have boys who could care less about any of this
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SixteenPregnant
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:09 PM
Maybe because I'm younger I'm more understanding, I dyed my hair bright red 3 weeks ago and I love it. I love that when I'm in a store I get kids commenting about my red hair, it makes me stand out. I also am lenient about piercings. I have my naval pierced, I am going to have to take it out soon but after I'm going to get it redone. When you tell your child they can't do something, especially when it's their OWN body, they will just do it themselves. Every time my mom or dad said no to a piercing I have just done it myself. I don't think parents have a right to tell their kid they can't be different if it's what they want. I've just never understood it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

At 11? Definitely no on the piercing. I do have mine BUT 11 is too young, I feel. Shaving head? A girl? I think not. Dyeing hair...depends on the color but even then we'd talk about it. I mean, we would talk about all of these but I won't budge on some things.

sunshine86912
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM

umm not yet! lol since they are 4 and 5 haha

Mommy4000
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Those aren't things I would allow my kids to do. I prefer they make those decisions when they are adults.

VisionSeeker
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I get what your saying about kids doing what parents say not to do.  But don't you think as a parent we should still set rules and boundaries and shouldn't kids respect those set boundaries?  Tattoos are pretty much permanent.  Piercings not so much.  BUT, there's lots of risks with both of them, wouldn't it be better if kids waited until they were older and truly understood what they were getting into.

I didn't get my first tatoo until I was 30 and I REALLY thought about where to place it because let's face it..your body won't look the same now as it will when your 80.  I think most kids don't think that far ahead.  Know what I mean?

Quoting SixteenPregnant:

Maybe because I'm younger I'm more understanding, I dyed my hair bright red 3 weeks ago and I love it. I love that when I'm in a store I get kids commenting about my red hair, it makes me stand out. I also am lenient about piercings. I have my naval pierced, I am going to have to take it out soon but after I'm going to get it redone. When you tell your child they can't do something, especially when it's their OWN body, they will just do it themselves. Every time my mom or dad said no to a piercing I have just done it myself. I don't think parents have a right to tell their kid they can't be different if it's what they want. I've just never understood it.

sarah824
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Very well said VisionSeeker.... I wanted to say the same thing, but wasn't sure how to word it without sounding snarky. :-) 

Quoting VisionSeeker:

I get what your saying about kids doing what parents say not to do.  But don't you think as a parent we should still set rules and boundaries and shouldn't kids respect those set boundaries?  Tattoos are pretty much permanent.  Piercings not so much.  BUT, there's lots of risks with both of them, wouldn't it be better if kids waited until they were older and truly understood what they were getting into.

I didn't get my first tatoo until I was 30 and I REALLY thought about where to place it because let's face it..your body won't look the same now as it will when your 80.  I think most kids don't think that far ahead.  Know what I mean?

Quoting SixteenPregnant:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)