Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

OT - Would you keep in touch?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM
  • 12 Replies

If you and SO/DH split for whatever reason would you maintain a relationship with his/her family?

Would you do it just for the kids or because you genuinely get along with them?

Just curious because I have seen a few posts elsewhere on CM talking about it and it made me wonder.

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I think I would. At least with one on his sisters and probably his Dad. Mostly for the kids, but also because we have gotten close over the years. 

countrymomma81
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 9:06 AM

It would depend upon why we split I'm guessing. Like, his sister and I are best friends. We are together every day and when we aren't together, we are on the phone. Like high school girls...lol. His mom and I get along really well and have spent the day with each other without SIL sometimes. 

If he left me, they'd be all on my side unless I had truly done him wrong. If I left him, they'd make my life hell unless he did something wrong. It's hard to explain. 

sarah824
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM

That is awesome that you and SIL are so close. I think my SIL's and I would be closer if we lived closer, but that would bring a whole new set of headaches. LOL

And I get what you are saying about the reason of the split would make a difference. I hadn't taken that into consideration when I made my post.

Quoting countrymomma81:

It would depend upon why we split I'm guessing. Like, his sister and I are best friends. We are together every day and when we aren't together, we are on the phone. Like high school girls...lol. His mom and I get along really well and have spent the day with each other without SIL sometimes. 

If he left me, they'd be all on my side unless I had truly done him wrong. If I left him, they'd make my life hell unless he did something wrong. It's hard to explain. 

Lunabug2009
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Probably, I am good friends with my dh siblings, I was friends with them before I married him.

VisionSeeker
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Quoting countrymomma81:

My SIL and MIL are like the family I never really had growing up LOL!  DH says they'd choose me over him *eye roll* which isn't true.  I would try my best to keep lines of communication and relationships as friendly as possible for the sake of my kids. 

I do have one friend that divorced her DH *no kids* and is still hanging with him and are going on a cruise together this weekend.  Not sure what that's all about, but they don't have kids that would force them to be civil, KWIM?

sarah824
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Quoting VisionSeeker:

Quoting countrymomma81:

My SIL and MIL are like the family I never really had growing up LOL!  DH says they'd choose me over him *eye roll* which isn't true.  I would try my best to keep lines of communication and relationships as friendly as possible for the sake of my kids. 

I do have one friend that divorced her DH *no kids* and is still hanging with him and are going on a cruise together this weekend.  Not sure what that's all about, but they don't have kids that would force them to be civil, KWIM?

I had a friend like that too. They had been married for 20 years, he cheated, she divorced him and moved out. A year or so later her apartment caught fire and she lost everything and had nowhere to go. She called him and he welcomed her back in and they have lived together since as *friends*. Seems so odd to me, but whatever works for them. They also have no kids.

nngmommy83
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I have somewhat of a relationship with sme of my ex's family members

Harris06
by Megan on Aug. 31, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I think that it would depend on the situation and what happened. As it stands right now, MIL: Yes, SFIL: Yes, FIL: NO, SMIL: Yes. My husband is an only child so I don't have to worry with siblings. 

abra
by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 3:28 PM
I get along pretty well with DHs family so I would.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by Betty on Aug. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Probably not. If i did it would just be for the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)