Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

How do you make time to take care of your self and have “me time”?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM
  • 11 Replies

Me Time

Part of being an organized wife means scheduling the time to take care of yourself too. No I’m not talking about weekly spa days (though if you can afford it and have the time, go for it!). But I am talking about taking the time you need to take care of yourself.

Because as wives and moms we tend to put the needs of the family, it is incredibly important that we spend a bit of time identifying ways we need to take care of ourselves and then schedule the time to do it. Actually put it on the family calendar! So what are some ways we need to take care of ourselves?

#1. Physically - If we aren’t eating right and exercising, we will not have the energy we need to take care of everyone and everything around our home. Moms are notorious for skipping breakfasts, snacking lunches off kids’ leftovers, and not exercising because we think it takes too much time away from the family. Well, a sick or tired mom is much more detrimental to the family than taking time to exercise and eat right. Put on the schedule a time for your to exercise at least 60 minutes a week, and more often as your health level allows. A good idea is 30 minutes of cardio or aerobic exercise (Zumba, running, spinning…) every other day with strength training on the in between days. This can be before kids get up, when your husband gets home (that’s my time), after kids are in bed, or while they are at school. Some gyms even have a place for the kids to hang out while you exercise. To help keep the costs down, there are tons of websites with exercises you can do at home and for free (walking or running through your neighborhood or a park is free and the kids can come in a stroller or run with you). This website shows you 10 ways to exercise at home without spending money for equipment…http://www.fitwatch.com/exercise/10-ways-you-can-exercise-at-home-without-any-equipment-10.html. As always, check with your doctor before you begin any new fitness routine.

#2. Spiritually – You cannot afford to let your spiritual life slide because you are too busy! You will not be able to effectively train and discipline your children if you are not taking time to develop your own spiritual growth. Did you know that you can read through the entire Bible in one year with roughly 15 minutes a day invested? How can you effectively instruct and train your children if you do not know the Bible well? For great reading plans check out www.youversion.com. Read Teach Them Diligently by Lou Priolo for information on using scripture to train and discipline your children. Besides making you a more effective parent, taking time to ground yourself spiritually will actually help you to be more calm, it will actually lower your blood pressure (really – there are studies!), and it will connect you to your God and your family.

#3. Emotionally/Socially – This is one gets me. I make time to exercise and I read my Bible and pray daily, but I often ignore my emotional side and put a lot of unneeded stress on the kids and my husband to meet my needs here. The truth is that God has designed us to be in fellowship with other believers, and specifically other women. Take time one a week or at least once a month to spend time with friends. Have a girls’ night out to eat and talk. Join a book club at church (or start one if your church doesn’t have one!). Schedule lunch with a friend while the kids are at school. Take the time to invest in relationships with other women. Expand your friendships to include women who have already been through your stage of life (women with teens or college students if you have little kids) and women who are in a stage of life that you have already been through (newlywed if you have been married for a while and have some kids). This will allow you to form bonds over share experiences and give you women who can help see you through a difficult stage. This will also give you women who you can stand by that are going through things that you have been through. Take time to invest in relationships.

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I need to get better at exercising and eating better. I am hoping that by going back to work I will be more motivated to work on it.

I do read my bible and attend church regularly.

I attend a bible study weekly too and that helps me with the emotional and social apsects. :-)

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Sep. 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM
My only me time is while the kids are in school and i am not at work
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I do take the time to exercise but need to work on time out alone, I just feel so guilty!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I mean, "me time" is when I do whatever I want. I have 8 hours of "me time" a day while the kids are in school. I visit with friends, have breakfast or lunch with them, go shopping or whatever. When it's time to get my hair and nails done, I do them. 

At night after DH goes to bed I read my nook for about an hour. That's probably the most relaxing thing I could do. 

I don't exercise but I am about to start. I've lost a few pounds on Plexus Slim so I'm hoping that moving around will be easier. 

abra
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM
:)
I'm terrible about excercising, but I try to read a lot, stay active in my bible and we have girls night out once a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Sep. 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM

I love this! I think too many time we, as wives and mothers, forget ourselves and lose ourselves. Depending on my week I might just take a long hot shower, I might take a bubble bath, I might go get my hair done, or I might just stay up after everyone has gone to bed and watch a movie or read a book. I do try to make it a point each week to do something for ME. I also make it point to do my hair and makeup each day because that is something for *me* that makes me feel good/better.

VisionSeeker
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM

On the am's that DH works he has to be up at 3:45 in the am.  I usually get up to pack his lunch, so now I stay up and workout.  I sometimes will work on CM at that time or my blog. 

At night, I always have some herbal tea, read a book about 30 minutes before I go to sleep, and meditate.  The kids are usually in bed by this time, so I take "me" time too.

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM
I have an hour a day I use my elliptical. I get my workout in and watch my favorite shows one the DVR.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bethany169
by Bethany on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM
I run four days a week and do yoga at least one other day.

Honestly, I'm not so into religion but I do try to take time each day to be grateful for all my blessings (even if it's while I'm sitting in traffic, trying to remind myself that I'm blessed to have a good job and reliable car lol)

I'm also not so good with girlfriends, I just don't have many close ones and am not one to chat on the phone with people. I hang out with my SIL whenever I can, and I'm getting better about talking to my sister regularly but that's about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by Betty on Sep. 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

my me time is when everyone goes to bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN