Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Birthday parties... Yay or Nay?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM
  • 18 Replies

Do you have parties for your kids every year? Are they BIG parties or do you keep it to a minimum? If you don't do parties how do you celebrate?

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:05 AM

We have done parties for the kids since they each turned 3. We are going to try something new for DS's birthday this year though.

He will turn 8 on 10/3 and we are going to take him and 2 friends to the movies, lunch and miniature golf. The cost will be similar to a bowling or skating party like past years, but WAY less stress and preparation for me & DH. DS is excited about the idea. 

batjmom
by Sarah on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Small family parties ...big parties only once in awhile

PoehlerBear1983
by Meghan on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM
We have just a family party
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nngmommy83
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM

yes we do. Now that DD is older hers are more toned down, just a family dinner type thing

countrymomma81
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:07 PM

We've had parties ever since birth. For my son's 8th birthday we took him and some friends camping instead of having a party. 

I'd say we usually go as all out as possible. More often than not they are home parties but they are themed with all the bells and whistles. Put it like this. DD's birthday isn't until April and I've already started getting things together for her party. It's going to be a cowgirl theme. 

sarah824
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I would love to do big parties at home, but we don't have the room. Doing big parties elsewhere tends to get pretty spendy. I am not sure how my kids are going to do without parties, but we'll see what happens. DD's b-day is in June so we can usually go to a park or something, but DS is in October and the weather here is pretty hit & miss by then. 

Quoting countrymomma81:

We've had parties ever since birth. For my son's 8th birthday we took him and some friends camping instead of having a party. 

I'd say we usually go as all out as possible. More often than not they are home parties but they are themed with all the bells and whistles. Put it like this. DD's birthday isn't until April and I've already started getting things together for her party. It's going to be a cowgirl theme. 

sarah824
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:19 PM

This is one of the reasons I wish we had family closer. Then I could do a party for family and keep it toned down and then do something fun with a friend or two for the kids to celebrate. 

Quoting batjmom:

Small family parties ...big parties only once in awhile

countrymomma81
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:23 PM

We do them at MIL's. She has a huge yard, outside kitchen, covered patio and a half bath in her outside kitchen. She has plenty of space to park and loves hosting our parties. We are fortunate to have her set up. 

And we are also fortunate that SIL and her DH usually pay for half if not all of the party stuff. The only thing DH and I pay for is the cake because we like specialty cakes. She goes all out with decorations and stuff. She can't have kids so she asks that we let her do this. 

Quoting sarah824:

I would love to do big parties at home, but we don't have the room. Doing big parties elsewhere tends to get pretty spendy. I am not sure how my kids are going to do without parties, but we'll see what happens. DD's b-day is in June so we can usually go to a park or something, but DS is in October and the weather here is pretty hit & miss by then. 

Quoting countrymomma81:

LiveLoveLaugh01
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

We celebrate every bday with a party lol. Sometimes we have a small party at home with just family, other times we go all out. 

sarah824
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM

That is awesome that they all contribute like that!  

Quoting countrymomma81:

We do them at MIL's. She has a huge yard, outside kitchen, covered patio and a half bath in her outside kitchen. She has plenty of space to park and loves hosting our parties. We are fortunate to have her set up. 

And we are also fortunate that SIL and her DH usually pay for half if not all of the party stuff. The only thing DH and I pay for is the cake because we like specialty cakes. She goes all out with decorations and stuff. She can't have kids so she asks that we let her do this. 

Quoting sarah824:

Quoting countrymomma81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)