Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

What questions would you want to ask to someone..

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
Who had a special needs child?

I have taken up vlogging and wanted to get some questions from people who know me (and many of you don't) about special needs children? Their care? What their diagnosis is? So on. Any questions and I want to answer them for you guys in my vlog. My series is basically on special needs kids, our lives, resources and so on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Harris06
by Megan on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM

What is their diagnosis? Did you know when you were pregnant? What will their life be like in terms of physically? Um...I am trying to think of things that I have wondered before but never knew how to ask.  

Harris06
by Megan on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Oh and is it genetic/does it run in the family? And...oh there was something else I thought of...oh, and as a general question, do you mind when people who are curious ask straight out? I get that that is the part of the blog, answering questions, but in every day life, if people were to stop and talk to you in the store or at the park, would you be open to talking to them and educating them there or do you rather just go about your life? Does that makes sense? Like, sometimes I fell bad when in conversation (not singling out and asking but in actual conversation) asking because I don't want the parent to think that I am being nosy or disrespectful in asking. 

i.heart.myboys
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Thank you. I will be answering questions soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kit_manson
by on Oct. 29, 2012 at 6:59 PM

What are acceptable terms to use? I've asked this of numerous people and never gotten an answer. There's a lot of talk about what ISNT acceptable, but nothing about what is. I know people use the term special needs, but how do  you differentiate between a bit special needs and alot special needs when talking about it? And... what exactly IS special needs? It's used about autism a lot, but it obviously involves other diagnoses. Is a physically but not mentally disabled child special needs? What about mental disabilities that aren't autism-type things? Severe phobias, anxiety disorders, etc. 

Also, what do you want parents of normal kids to know? What should we do? How should we act? I often see people either say you should treat them like any other kid, but then there's situations in which this isn't possible, because they do things that other kids don't. We're told not to look, but not to avoid looking either. It's full of contradictions and you're damned either way. Is there any way to navigate this so you don't offend anyone? 

And how do you suggest people handle things like this? I know some autistic people can be rather harsh and critical when they just think theyre stating the obvious or how they feel. However this leads to feelings getting hurt. What can you do, or are you supposed to just suck it up?

Also please don't get offended by something I've typed here. This response is full of words that I'm sure are totally wrong- but that was my first question, after all. 

mrswillie
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

What is daily life about

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN