Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching Kids Healthy Habits Teaching Kids Healthy Habits

Car seats

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 12 Replies
How old are your kids and what kind of car seat/booster are they in?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My 3 1'2 year old is in a 5 point harness. My 7 year old is in a backless booster. My 10 year old is not in one

othermom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My older kids went to boosters when they were about 4 1/2 or so. My sister in law yesterday said that I should switch my youngest, who is big for her age, but she won't yet since her seat goes till 65lbs and 52 inches hopefully. I do need to see if I can adjust the bottom straps though

slittlefield920
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I think thats a great idea to keep your youngest in his harness. Go until the weight limit reaches it's max, it's definitely the safest! :)

Quoting othermom:

My older kids went to boosters when they were about 4 1/2 or so. My sister in law yesterday said that I should switch my youngest, who is big for her age, but she won't yet since her seat goes till 65lbs and 52 inches hopefully. I do need to see if I can adjust the bottom straps though

aj23
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
My son will be 6 next month and he's still in a 5pt harness. He won't be in it much longer though because he's starting to complain about the buckle between the legs hurting him.
aeneva
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

My son will be 8 in May and he is in a high back booster.  My daughter will be 6 in June and is in a 5 point harness forward facing.  They stay in their car seats until they outgrow them.  Both were rear facing until 2 years.  My almost 8 year old just moved out of his 5 point harness at 6.5 years.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Just seat belts... They're 19, 16, and 12
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM
My seven year old is in backless booster
TigerofMu
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Our youngest, who will turn ten on Wednesday, is in a booster.  She only weighs about 75 pounds, though she's getting pretty tall, so I'm not actually not really sure where to go with her.  I think our state law is 9 years and 90 pounds, but she might be in a booster till she's 15 if I have to wait till she weighs 90 pounds!  Which is fine with me if it keeps her safe, but I bet I get some resistance by then!

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Well I stand corrected.  I thought they had raised it to 9 and 90.  That's the slogan anyway, but the law I found says otherwise:

Wyoming state law requires that all children 8 years of age and younger and weighing 80 pounds or less ride in a federally approved car seat or booster seat that is appropriate for the child's age, height and weight. Wyoming law also requires children ride in a rear seat if the vehicle has rear seats.

Here's what makes me blink though The seatbelt regulations - if all of the seatbelts are in use by other children, then the kids don't have to wear seatbelts!  What?!?

Seat Belts

With few exceptions, everyone riding in a vehicle who is nine years old and older must wear a seat belt.

It's up to the driver to ensure all passengers follow this rule.

The only exceptions:

• U.S. postal employees when acting as mail carriers
  • Anyone with a doctor's note excusing them from wearing a seat belt

• Anyone unable to obey the law due to all seat belts being in use
  • Anyone riding in a vehicle that isn't required to have seat belts
mommyofnoah208
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM
My daughter is 1 1/2 and is in a full 5point car seat but we did recently switch to forward facing. My son just got his carseat converted to the highback booster and he is 5. Both of them are on the tall side and weight for age
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)