Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Dress Codes and School

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM
  • 19 Replies
Uniforms Affect Attitude Toward Learning - ablestock.com
What if students were allowed to wear anything they wanted to school? Are the dress code regulations necessary?

Dress Restrictions

Most schools have regulations on how students dress. The intent is to keep students safe and focused on academics. Teachers have enough on their plate to motivate learning without having to monitor which slogan is affecting who today.

Baggy pants and bandanas could be interpreted as gang dress. Dressing as a gang member intimidates other students and spreads fear instead of focusing on academics. Pants with large pockets are often restricted because a weapon or drugs could be carried in them. Certain colors are often banned if gang colors.

Coats and bookbags are often only permitted in lockers. Again, guns and drugs could be in coat pockets and bookbags.

X-Rated

Dressing seductively is a great distraction to the opposite sex. It only makes sense to put restrictions on what can be worn to school. Sexual thoughts are already frequent in middle school and high school. Most students do not need visual aids. The imagination is active enough. Schools have banned MySpace.com during school hours because of the suggestive content and predators lurking. MySpace has tried to make the site safer but students still make themselves vulnerable by being on MySpace.

T-Shirts

Clothing with reference to cigarettes or alcohol are usually not allowed. Television restricts commercials on these subjects so it doesn't make sense to allow students advertise in school. T-shirts from Hooters are usually not permitted because of the reference made to waitresses. But a new craze is emerging and it is not making administration and law enforcement very happy. The t-shirts say "Don't Snitch."

This latest trend tells students at school to not cooperate with teachers, principals and police. So, you witness vicious harassment--don't snitch. You witness a gun in a locker--don't snitch. You see drugs in the lunchroom--don't snitch. You overhear someone talking about a bomb--don't snitch.

Only Wrong If Caught

This new craze in t-shirts leads already confused middle school and high school students to believe that they must stand behind their friends at all costs. Doesn't really matter if it is morally wrong. You stand by your friends even if they could blow up the school, shoot your friends, or die of a drug overdose. The worst thing you can be is a snitch and cooperate with the police. Police rely on citizens to assist them in investigations. No leads, no arrests, less safety.

The Damage Has Been Done

Even though these t-shirts are no longer being produced, other companies have copied the slogan and sell on the black market as knock offs. But, more and more schools are saying "no" to these slogan t-shirts.

Uniforms

More and more public schools are switching to uniforms. This custom used to be reserved for private and Catholic schools but public schools are finding some positive results. When students wear uniforms to school, no one can tell who has more money. The latest expensive jeans can't be shown off along with the designer polo.

The results have been better attendance because students always have something acceptable to wear. Studies uncovered the fact that some students were missing school because they didn't have "cool" clothes to wear or the one pair of jeans that was "cool" was too wet to wear to school. And, since students are not distracted by who is wearing what, students focus better on academics and their own business.

How we dress does matter. Even entrepreneurs that work out of their home feel their workday is more productive when dressed appropriately rather than working in pajamas.

Read more at Suite101: Dress Codes and School: How students dress affects attitude. | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/dress-codes-and-school-a5232#ixzz1SCOI4vBM

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HisSweetheart07
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM

Dress code in our school is pretty simple: straps must be atleast 2 inches thick, no belly showing when arms are stretched upward, shorts/skirts no shorter and fingers (or 2 inches above knee), shoes must have backs (strap or full backs), shirts must NOT have profanity or sexual endundos, no hats, clothes must FIT (ie, no baggy pants to see your underwear, no skin tight pants that show ever curve)....  hmm I think that's everything...

I can't say I dont agree with everything in our dress code. Its mostly for safety reasons. If the parents want the kids to wear any of the above - do so outside of school. Its honestly not that hard to just NOT buy it for them, then they wont have the fight of it.

I'd love for the whole uniform thing to go into schools - school shopping would be soo much faster lol I hate walking around going "do you like this" "how about this" "oh I like this" then hearing "no" "no" "NO WAY MOM". lol

Kaci
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM

they had a bunch of angry parents here last year or the year before when a new principal came in and banned the holes in jeans. LOL Parents were taking jeans back to the stores left and right! I wish he would ban the boys showing their boxers!

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM
I wish we had uniforms to be honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaci
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM

ditto!

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

Kaci
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 3:28 PM

this year with ds working he will have to wear his khakis to school most of the time anyway because he will go to work right after school! grin

HisSweetheart07
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 3:29 PM

That drives me crazy... I so badly want to walk by and just pull their pants down...

Same with girls in those G-string straps showing... I want to just snap them.

I'm so mean :(

Quoting Kaci:

they had a bunch of angry parents here last year or the year before when a new principal came in and banned the holes in jeans. LOL Parents were taking jeans back to the stores left and right! I wish he would ban the boys showing their boxers!

nf1
by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM
Lol

Quoting Kaci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Quoting Kaci:

I wish he would ban the boys showing their boxers!

I've never liked that look.

Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 16, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Quoting Kaci:

ditto!

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

My son will wear a uniform. Well, it's not a uniform per se, but they can only wear certain colors and their can't be any logos or symbols on the clothing.

Serenity75
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM

I believe they are necessary, I only wish the teacher would enforce them more or better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN