Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education
Uniforms Affect Attitude Toward Learning - ablestock.com
What if students were allowed to wear anything they wanted to school? Are the dress code regulations necessary?

Dress Restrictions

Most schools have regulations on how students dress. The intent is to keep students safe and focused on academics. Teachers have enough on their plate to motivate learning without having to monitor which slogan is affecting who today.

Baggy pants and bandanas could be interpreted as gang dress. Dressing as a gang member intimidates other students and spreads fear instead of focusing on academics. Pants with large pockets are often restricted because a weapon or drugs could be carried in them. Certain colors are often banned if gang colors.

Coats and bookbags are often only permitted in lockers. Again, guns and drugs could be in coat pockets and bookbags.

X-Rated

Dressing seductively is a great distraction to the opposite sex. It only makes sense to put restrictions on what can be worn to school. Sexual thoughts are already frequent in middle school and high school. Most students do not need visual aids. The imagination is active enough. Schools have banned MySpace.com during school hours because of the suggestive content and predators lurking. MySpace has tried to make the site safer but students still make themselves vulnerable by being on MySpace.

T-Shirts

Clothing with reference to cigarettes or alcohol are usually not allowed. Television restricts commercials on these subjects so it doesn't make sense to allow students advertise in school. T-shirts from Hooters are usually not permitted because of the reference made to waitresses. But a new craze is emerging and it is not making administration and law enforcement very happy. The t-shirts say "Don't Snitch."

This latest trend tells students at school to not cooperate with teachers, principals and police. So, you witness vicious harassment--don't snitch. You witness a gun in a locker--don't snitch. You see drugs in the lunchroom--don't snitch. You overhear someone talking about a bomb--don't snitch.

Only Wrong If Caught

This new craze in t-shirts leads already confused middle school and high school students to believe that they must stand behind their friends at all costs. Doesn't really matter if it is morally wrong. You stand by your friends even if they could blow up the school, shoot your friends, or die of a drug overdose. The worst thing you can be is a snitch and cooperate with the police. Police rely on citizens to assist them in investigations. No leads, no arrests, less safety.

The Damage Has Been Done

Even though these t-shirts are no longer being produced, other companies have copied the slogan and sell on the black market as knock offs. But, more and more schools are saying "no" to these slogan t-shirts.

Uniforms

More and more public schools are switching to uniforms. This custom used to be reserved for private and Catholic schools but public schools are finding some positive results. When students wear uniforms to school, no one can tell who has more money. The latest expensive jeans can't be shown off along with the designer polo.

The results have been better attendance because students always have something acceptable to wear. Studies uncovered the fact that some students were missing school because they didn't have "cool" clothes to wear or the one pair of jeans that was "cool" was too wet to wear to school. And, since students are not distracted by who is wearing what, students focus better on academics and their own business.

How we dress does matter. Even entrepreneurs that work out of their home feel their workday is more productive when dressed appropriately rather than working in pajamas.

Read more at Suite101: Dress Codes and School: How students dress affects attitude. | Suite101.com http://www.suite101.com/content/dress-codes-and-school-a5232#ixzz1SCOI4vBM

by on Jul. 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM
Replies (11-19):
inmybizz
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I like uniforms..I see older kids(mostly girls) leaving for school in the am and i swear some of the outfits are r rated(short shorts, tiny t's, high heels) ..They are a distraction walking down the street to catch the bus so i can image what a distraction they are in school with a bunch of young boys..

As for boys i hate hate hate the sagging..It is so disrespectful to see a young man with his boxers showing because his pants are down on his thighs..It's almost a competition to see how low they can wear them.. 

I don't believe the public schools do a good job at monitoring the kids.. And parents get an attitude when their child is singled out for breaking the rules

mommybug77
by on Aug. 10, 2011 at 10:05 AM
we wear uniforms even the public schools
Ladyisis
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM

I believe every school should have a dress code and inforce it. I don't like uniforms, but can understand why public schools are switching to them.

alexis_06
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 1:03 AM

our schools dress code is pretty easy going...no "sugestive" items, like smoking, drugs and alcohol..no spaghetti straps and no tummys are allowed to show (this is in a k-5 school)

i personally hate the no spaghetti strap rule!  i dont see what difference it makes at all!!!!!!!!!

Kiwismommy19
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:26 AM

The dress code at Kyra's school is pretty easy to follow. It's almost just like the one I have for her here at home so no worries or fights about what she's wearing :-)  Only difference is I allow her to wear tank tops and flip flops here but not at school.

They can't show their backs, nothing low cut, no advertising anything you aren't old enough to buy (no alcohol, tobacco and so on), and girls have to wear shorts or thick tights or pants under dresses or skirts (a few too many showing their panties on the playground).

Kiwismommy19
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Studies uncovered the fact that some students were missing school because they didn't have "cool" clothes to wear or the one pair of jeans that was "cool" was too wet to wear to school

That part surprises me. Sorry if this offends someone, but in my opinion, if a kid is missing school because their clothes aren't "cool" enough, then that's a problem with the parents and how the kid was raised. There is so much to a person besides what they pay for their jeans. I'll never understand why this matters to people so much.

itsallabtthem84
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Interesting, tfs.

My kids wear uniforms and I am so glad.

momof3angela
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Dress codes are a huge plus...and they do enforce them.  I am all for uniforms but our public school does not have them.

kanake
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM

You got that right.Here they only have uniform shirts but my son tells me every now and then there is a female in the office for waering her skirt/shorts too short.

Quoting inmybizz:

I like uniforms..I see older kids(mostly girls) leaving for school in the am and i swear some of the outfits are r rated(short shorts, tiny t's, high heels) ..They are a distraction walking down the street to catch the bus so i can image what a distraction they are in school with a bunch of young boys..

As for boys i hate hate hate the sagging..It is so disrespectful to see a young man with his boxers showing because his pants are down on his thighs..It's almost a competition to see how low they can wear them.. 

I don't believe the public schools do a good job at monitoring the kids.. And parents get an attitude when their child is singled out for breaking the rules

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN