Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

For the home schoolers:

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM
  • 18 Replies

What made you decide to home school??

Do you belong to any HS organizations?

What are your thoughts on the socialization arguement?

by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serenity75
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I don't homeschool, but I have considered it MANY times over the past decade, so I hope it's okay for me to give my answers.

I've seriously considered homeschooling for various reasons ranging from dd not being challenged enough to bullies (students AND teachers) to wanting more family time and less homework a.k.a. "busy work" (as I like to call it) to wanting to give my kids a much broader education than the public school  has to offer and teaching them THE TRUTH rather than some of those lies they learn in history class to wanting to keep them away from the bad influences at public school.  I really could go on and on about all my reasons for wanting to homeschool.

I did a search for HS groups in my area and really only found one that may be okay.  The problem is most (if not all) are very religious and we are not.  So finding a secular HS group is very difficult.  Only one group nearby stated that while they are religious they welcome everyone.

I think the socialization argument is crap.  I attended public school and I'm very socially awkward.  Ever heard the term, "I survived public school, that's why I home-school"?  While I agree that all kids need some level of socialization, I don't believe public school is the right way to do it.

jeremysmom04
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I majored in Early Childhood Education. My student teaching solidified my desire to homeschool.

I belong to a homeschool meetup group.

Socialization, bah. How is sitting in a classroom with 30 kids the same age you are "socialization"? My homeschooled kids are comfortable talking and playing with babies on up to adults--now THAT is socialization. I was public schooled, and I am socially awkward as well. I can relate to those my own age, but cannot do the various age groups that my children can.

I also agree whole-heartedly with Serenity75. I can teach my children TRUTH about history. There is no busy work. They are free to be children....there are just SO many reasons.

jeremysmom04
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Yes, indeed.

Quoting Serenity75:

I don't homeschool, but I have considered it MANY times over the past decade, so I hope it's okay for me to give my answers.

I've seriously considered homeschooling for various reasons ranging from dd not being challenged enough to bullies (students AND teachers) to wanting more family time and less homework a.k.a. "busy work" (as I like to call it) to wanting to give my kids a much broader education than the public school  has to offer and teaching them THE TRUTH rather than some of those lies they learn in history class to wanting to keep them away from the bad influences at public school.  I really could go on and on about all my reasons for wanting to homeschool.

I did a search for HS groups in my area and really only found one that may be okay.  The problem is most (if not all) are very religious and we are not.  So finding a secular HS group is very difficult.  Only one group nearby stated that while they are religious they welcome everyone.

I think the socialization argument is crap.  I attended public school and I'm very socially awkward.  Ever heard the term, "I survived public school, that's why I home-school"?  While I agree that all kids need some level of socialization, I don't believe public school is the right way to do it.

shell81
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Don't HS but here is a bump!

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 2:03 AM
I really like what you've said here.

Quoting Serenity75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM
When I started my schooling in Urban Teaching it made me wanna home school too.

Quoting jeremysmom04:

I majored in Early Childhood Education. My student teaching solidified my desire to homeschool.

Socialization, bah. How is sitting in a classroom with 30 kids the same age you are "socialization"? My homeschooled kids are comfortable talking and playing with babies on up to adults--now THAT is socialization. I was public schooled, and I am socially awkward as well. I can relate to those my own age, but cannot do the various age groups that my children can.

I also agree whole-heartedly with Serenity75. I can teach my children TRUTH about history. There is no busy work. They are free to be children....there are just SO many reasons.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Quoting jeremysmom04:

I also agree whole-heartedly with Serenity75. I can teach my children TRUTH about history.

The schools give such a slanted view on history.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 19, 2011 at 9:46 PM
Frightening.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Quoting jeremysmom04:

I also agree whole-heartedly with Serenity75. I can teach my children TRUTH about history.

The schools give such a slanted view on history.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Quoting jeremysmom04:

My kids have been asking to be homeschooled, I am just not sure if I have the time to make sure they are doing their work.

jeremysmom04
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM

The great thing about homeschooling is that they can work at their own pace, and they aren't held back by their peers. If it's something they know, they can skim or skip it. My just turned 7 yr old son would be starting second grade in a public school in the fall. Instead, he's starting 5th grade Reading Comprehension and Geography, 4th grade Spelling, Language Arts, and Science, and 3rd grade Math.

All of our schoolwork is usually completed in under an hour. It takes much less time than it does when you hav 30 children to teach. :) We have a schedule, breakfast, then schoolwork, then you have the rest of the day to do whatever. Not only does he play on his own time, but he chooses to do science experiments, read, and various other "educational" activities.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting jeremysmom04:

My kids have been asking to be homeschooled, I am just not sure if I have the time to make sure they are doing their work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN