Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

What made you decide to home school??

Do you belong to any HS organizations?

What are your thoughts on the socialization arguement?

by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 1:57 PM
Replies (11-18):
Serenity75
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Thank you so much :)

Quoting Jukebox_Jenny:

I really like what you've said here.

Quoting Serenity75:

I don't homeschool, but I have considered it MANY times over the past decade, so I hope it's okay for me to give my answers.

I've seriously considered homeschooling for various reasons ranging from dd not being challenged enough to bullies (students AND teachers) to wanting more family time and less homework a.k.a. "busy work" (as I like to call it) to wanting to give my kids a much broader education than the public school  has to offer and teaching them THE TRUTH rather than some of those lies they learn in history class to wanting to keep them away from the bad influences at public school.  I really could go on and on about all my reasons for wanting to homeschool.

I did a search for HS groups in my area and really only found one that may be okay.  The problem is most (if not all) are very religious and we are not.  So finding a secular HS group is very difficult.  Only one group nearby stated that while they are religious they welcome everyone.

I think the socialization argument is crap.  I attended public school and I'm very socially awkward.  Ever heard the term, "I survived public school, that's why I home-school"?  While I agree that all kids need some level of socialization, I don't believe public school is the right way to do it.

Serenity75
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM

This is another one of my major reasons for wanting to HS.

Quoting jeremysmom04:

The great thing about homeschooling is that they can work at their own pace, and they aren't held back by their peers. If it's something they know, they can skim or skip it. My just turned 7 yr old son would be starting second grade in a public school in the fall. Instead, he's starting 5th grade Reading Comprehension and Geography, 4th grade Spelling, Language Arts, and Science, and 3rd grade Math.

All of our schoolwork is usually completed in under an hour. It takes much less time than it does when you hav 30 children to teach. :) We have a schedule, breakfast, then schoolwork, then you have the rest of the day to do whatever. Not only does he play on his own time, but he chooses to do science experiments, read, and various other "educational" activities.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting jeremysmom04:

I majored in Early Childhood Education. My student teaching solidified my desire to homeschool.

I belong to a homeschool meetup group.

Socialization, bah. How is sitting in a classroom with 30 kids the same age you are "socialization"? My homeschooled kids are comfortable talking and playing with babies on up to adults--now THAT is socialization. I was public schooled, and I am socially awkward as well. I can relate to those my own age, but cannot do the various age groups that my children can.

I also agree whole-heartedly with Serenity75. I can teach my children TRUTH about history. There is no busy work. They are free to be children....there are just SO many reasons.

My kids have been asking to be homeschooled, I am just not sure if I have the time to make sure they are doing their work.

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Totally!

Quoting Serenity75:

This is another one of my major reasons for wanting to HS.

Quoting jeremysmom04:

The great thing about homeschooling is that they can work at their own pace, and they aren't held back by their peers. If it's something they know, they can skim or skip it. My just turned 7 yr old son would be starting second grade in a public school in the fall. Instead, he's starting 5th grade Reading Comprehension and Geography, 4th grade Spelling, Language Arts, and Science, and 3rd grade Math.

All of our schoolwork is usually completed in under an hour. It takes much less time than it does when you hav 30 children to teach. :) We have a schedule, breakfast, then schoolwork, then you have the rest of the day to do whatever. Not only does he play on his own time, but he chooses to do science experiments, read, and various other "educational" activities.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting jeremysmom04:

I majored in Early Childhood Education. My student teaching solidified my desire to homeschool.

I belong to a homeschool meetup group.

Socialization, bah. How is sitting in a classroom with 30 kids the same age you are "socialization"? My homeschooled kids are comfortable talking and playing with babies on up to adults--now THAT is socialization. I was public schooled, and I am socially awkward as well. I can relate to those my own age, but cannot do the various age groups that my children can.

I also agree whole-heartedly with Serenity75. I can teach my children TRUTH about history. There is no busy work. They are free to be children....there are just SO many reasons.

My kids have been asking to be homeschooled, I am just not sure if I have the time to make sure they are doing their work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jeremysmom04
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I say if you want to homeschool, try it! You can always send them back to public school if you can't handle it. There are also homeschool charters and virtual (online) schools run by the public school system. Those are great gateways into homeschooling if you are too overwhelmed by the prospect.

QuiltLover
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 5:45 PM

If I had to do it over again, very definitely would have homeschooled...various reasons, but mostly religious and moral issues.

momof3angela
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

We have not home schooled but so grateful for all the input from other  homeschoolers.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

We are still debating. DD has late bday so she gets an "extra year" at home -- where we will test the waters with homeschooling.

What made you decide to home school?? Looking back on my schooling years. How it could have been made better. How much I got wrong because I was caught up in other kids -- not school (and i was a A-B student). Budget cuts. teacher layoffs- yet the "big bosses" still are safe & getting raises.. I want my kid to learn at her own pace- not the slowest person in the class. If she wants to study something she can NOW, and learn as much as she wants- Not as much time the schedule provides before having to move on. In the early years: Sitting in a desk for long periods of time seems kinda cruel for young 5-8 yos.. Violence. drugs.. The list can go on..

Do you belong to any HS organizations?

Not yet. But I have found a local homeschooling group I would like to contact.

What are your thoughts on the socialization arguement?

Its laughable. Do we send our kids away for 8hrs a day to learn to chat with others, or do we send them to learn?...Social time can have its time & place outside of school walls (just like you dont need 4 walls & a desk to learn). Do you want your kid learning how to socialize from other immature kids, or from watching you? There is nowhere that says learning 1+1 alone is any different than sitting next to 20 other kids. Awkward kids are found in public schools. Some kids are naturally shy, introverted & dont need a crowd to say they are cool.. Some kids are naturally "class clowns" even if they dont have a class to be a clown in.. Sometimes HS'ing protect the awkard, shy kid from alot of bullying..

Mommy2justone
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM

We want to home school because we don't agree with what is going on in our public schools right now. They are dropping a lot of classes that we feel our daughter will need. We don't like the fact that the food that they serve is made with fillers and preservatives, and some schools are making your kid buy lunch rather than pack.
I also want my daughter to have religious studies but we can't afford a private school.

My daughter is very social (she is almost 4) and is in gymnastics, ballet, and swim alternating. She doesn't have any problems with socialization. I can guarantee you that she will not learn the "F" word by age 5 like my friends daughter her second day of Kindergarden did....yay :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)