Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How should schools handle budget cuts?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM
  • 14 Replies
Should schools cut football, cheerleading, other sports, music/band before cutting teachers, increasing class sizes even more, using old textbooks, or cutting computer lab? What is the purpose of schools?
by on Jul. 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 2:08 AM

I do believe that education comes first so I'd rather extra curricular activites be cut before teachers are laid off, class sizes increase, etc.

momof3angela
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:03 AM

That is a tough one.... education is important but I also know sometimes the extra curricular is what helps get some students more interested and focused on school education b/c they have a harder time learning.  Rob Peter to pay Paul is a catch 22 isn't it?

ZanyCracko
by on Jul. 21, 2011 at 10:38 AM
This is exactly the position I've heard before. I would further ask if those students going to school for the extracurricular activities are more interested and focused on school as a result or not. Maybe the just put in their time in class and do the minimum to stay in school so they can play. If school were just about learning and activities were separate, would education be better? And those that choose to drop out - would they do any worse in life than skating by with D's? This is just a question.
Serenity75
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I do believe that education comes first so I'd rather extra curricular activites be cut before teachers are laid off, class sizes increase, etc.

mumsy2three
by on Jul. 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I agree.

HisSweetheart07
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I agree... I'd rather see sports go before I see teachers go....

Most teacher around here volunteer their time for extracurricular activities just so students have something to do besides get in trouble.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

momof3angela
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 3:38 PM

I totally agree...I hate seeing so many changes with teachers b/c of cuts:(

Quoting HisSweetheart07:

I agree... I'd rather see sports go before I see teachers go....

Most teacher around here volunteer their time for extracurricular activities just so students have something to do besides get in trouble.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Jukebox_Jenny
by on Jul. 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM
Agreed. I think when it comes down to it though I'd rather pay out of pocket for an extracurricular than lose quality in the classroom.

Quoting momof3angela:

That is a tough one.... education is important but I also know sometimes the extra curricular is what helps get some students more interested and focused on school education b/c they have a harder time learning.  Rob Peter to pay Paul is a catch 22 isn't it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM

bump

momof3angela
by on Aug. 15, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I think they need to prioritize first...  allow our kids to get a quality education... don't rob Peter to pay Paul. (can't say that one enough...lol)  And with new technology stuff costing so much... they need to make sure they are not losing teachers to pay for this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)