Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

When to back off

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:36 PM
  • 16 Replies
How involved are you in your kids choices regarding what classes they take or how school they commit to? Do you have a say in their choices in high school? College? When is it time to back off and let them choose where their life is headed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QuiltLover
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Usually if a child is heading the right direction, they will seek your advice or ask for help from a counselor of choice. If they are still undecided and are seeking a way "to find" themselves they may buck you a bit...If they have no direction or goals and want to "wander" then they seem to be a bit confrontational, so I would stay upon them while they are young and instill the right qualitites for their future. But in the end, they will ultimately do what they want. In your home or when they leave. 

amonkeymom
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM

My daughter is just entering high school (9th grade) and I did make suggestions regarding what classes and extra curriculars she should/shouldn't be involved in.  Luckily for me, she took my suggestions to heart.  :)

jeremysmom04
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 2:49 PM

ITA.

Quoting QuiltLover:

Usually if a child is heading the right direction, they will seek your advice or ask for help from a counselor of choice. If they are still undecided and are seeking a way "to find" themselves they may buck you a bit...If they have no direction or goals and want to "wander" then they seem to be a bit confrontational, so I would stay upon them while they are young and instill the right qualitites for their future. But in the end, they will ultimately do what they want. In your home or when they leave. 

PurpleHazey
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM

sometimes I step in but I think they know what they need to take.

Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 1:04 AM

I think this starts years earlier. You need to give your child a good foundation so that they are capable of making logical and thoughtful decisions, instead of hasty and passionate decisions.

mumsy2three
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I think this starts years earlier. You need to give your child a good foundation so that they are capable of making logical and thoughtful decisions, instead of hasty and passionate decisions.

I agree.

My dd has chosen all of her elective classes all through high school. She had no options/choices with the core classes they are required to graduate. She chose to stack her schedule 9th through 11th grade (didn't take study halls) so she could get as many credits out of the way to have an easy senior year. I'm was okay with that, she planned ahead and got the bulk of her classes out of the way and is going to enjoy a light load for her last year of high school.

momof3angela
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I have always encouraged my teen DD to talk with her guidance counselor....they do that regularly with scheduling anyway.  That way she always knew what was still required of her and what her options were.  She has not started college yet but the Army will guide her I'm sure.  She is aware of the prerequisite classes as well.

Serenity75
by on Jul. 28, 2011 at 5:24 PM

It's their choice.

Linds2Horse
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I agree.

My dd has chosen all of her elective classes all through high school. She had no options/choices with the core classes they are required to graduate. She chose to stack her schedule 9th through 11th grade (didn't take study halls) so she could get as many credits out of the way to have an easy senior year. I'm was okay with that, she planned ahead and got the bulk of her classes out of the way and is going to enjoy a light load for her last year of high school.

I like her fore thought.

jeremysmom04
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM

As do I.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I agree.

I like her fore thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)