Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education
How involved are you in your kids choices regarding what classes they take or how school they commit to? Do you have a say in their choices in high school? College? When is it time to back off and let them choose where their life is headed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-16):
mumsy2three
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Quoting jeremysmom04:

As do I.

Quoting Linds2Horse:

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I think this starts years earlier. You need to give your child a good foundation so that they are capable of making logical and thoughtful decisions, instead of hasty and passionate decisions.

I agree.

My dd has chosen all of her elective classes all through high school. She had no options/choices with the core classes they are required to graduate. She chose to stack her schedule 9th through 11th grade (didn't take study halls) so she could get as many credits out of the way to have an easy senior year. I'm was okay with that, she planned ahead and got the bulk of her classes out of the way and is going to enjoy a light load for her last year of high school.

I like her fore thought.

Thank you both, sometimes she thinks very un-teen like....sometimes :)

HisSweetheart07
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 9:14 AM

ita

Quoting Linds2Horse:

I think this starts years earlier. You need to give your child a good foundation so that they are capable of making logical and thoughtful decisions, instead of hasty and passionate decisions.

inmybizz
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 9:47 AM

as long as she's headed in the right direction i will sit back and allow her to do her own thing..

Liansmommie
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Even in third grade he has choices for electives. Mainly my job is to make him see whether he can commit to a class he wants to take. However, I am making him take Spanish this year and he is trying hard to convince me he has earned a shot at robotics club and he wants into pre algebra instead of math 3. He is mad because he also wants to take the science fair class and I dont think he can handle that on top of his already increased class load (especially if he get the math class), spanish, robotics, chess, and  school magazine. I think at this stage a second language is more important and after two years I can't see him giving up chess or the magazine to make room for it. I am seriously considering not letting him be in the science and art clubs again this year to make room for robotics, but I may have to give in since those are what he does for fun. Personally I hope he proves me wrong and manages all of what he wants to do, but I also don't him to set himself up to fail with over reached expectations. I really hate telling him he can't learn what he wants.

Liansmommie
by on Jul. 29, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

I agree.

My dd has chosen all of her elective classes all through high school. She had no options/choices with the core classes they are required to graduate. She chose to stack her schedule 9th through 11th grade (didn't take study halls) so she could get as many credits out of the way to have an easy senior year. I'm was okay with that, she planned ahead and got the bulk of her classes out of the way and is going to enjoy a light load for her last year of high school.

I did that as well. The only classes I took senior year were required 12th grade only and a math class I failed when I changed schools. It really made for a nice senior year. It's great that she planned ahead like that.

Join Me @Kids and Fun
Kids & Fun!
Are your kids having fun this summer? Mine is!!

Mommy2justone
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I will be, she is only 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)