Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spelling Tests

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM
  • 20 Replies

I use starfall.com and play hangman or fill in the blank with my son.He seems to get it faster!

by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof3angela
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM

That is a lot of fun... my kid's school also uses a website called Spelling City.  The teachers put in the words for that week to be applied to the learning activities.

thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM

hhmm...i will have to do that for my daughter.... :-) 

thenguyenclan
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Quoting momof3angela:

That is a lot of fun... my kid's school also uses a website called Spelling City.  The teachers put in the words for that week to be applied to the learning activities.

so the teachers use the site and put in their own spelling words??

momof3angela
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Quoting thenguyenclan:

Quoting momof3angela:

so the teachers use the site and put in their own spelling words??

Yes, they do.  And they even make one night during the week's homework  be to go to Spelling City and do the activities.

Kiwismommy19
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Interesting!

We bet pennies. For each word spelled correctly, she gets so many, for each one spelled wrong she pays me. This really gets her to focus and try to remember how to spell the words and not just half-ass it since she loves collecting her money :-)  She rarely has to pay!

momof3angela
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:00 AM

I made sure to give my son a pretest the first day he got the words to see where he needed the most help.  Then I'd give him one on Wed to see if he was getting them.  And again Friday morning before school since the spelling tests were on Fridays.... I saved all of his tests from last yr (2nd grade)

momof3angela
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:01 AM

heehee... talk about motivation....  big smile mini

Quoting Kiwismommy19:

Interesting!

We bet pennies. For each word spelled correctly, she gets so many, for each one spelled wrong she pays me. This really gets her to focus and try to remember how to spell the words and not just half-ass it since she loves collecting her money :-)  She rarely has to pay!

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I need to check out spelling city!

johnny4ever
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Quoting momof3angela:

I made sure to give my son a pretest the first day he got the words to see where he needed the most help.  Then I'd give him one on Wed to see if he was getting them.  And again Friday morning before school since the spelling tests were on Fridays.... I saved all of his tests from last yr (2nd grade)

Daniel gets his spelling words on Friday...test on Thursdays

momof3angela
by on Aug. 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Quoting johnny4ever:

Quoting momof3angela:

Daniel gets his spelling words on Friday...test on Thursdays

that's a great idea b/c they have 7 day's as opposed to 5 to learn them ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)