Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Are E-readers motivating boys to read?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM
  • 16 Replies

I found this article very interesting!  It's a rather small study but I wonder if it's a universal thing?

E-Reader Study

This in particular caught my attention because I noticed my male friends are more likely to embrace an e-reader and my femal friends want books:

“The technology appeared to motivate the boys to read, while many girls preferred the actual books,” said Williams-Rossi, who is also director of undergraduate programs in Simmons. “The data showing the girls’ preference were statistically significant and particularly intriguing. This is part of a 3-year study and this data came midway through, so we are continuing our investigation and interviewing girls to understand their reaction to the e-readers. It may be that they prefer curling up with actual books and that they enjoy sharing their reading with their friends.”

I thought this was interesting as to why the kids like them so much:

Overall, the students and their two teachers rated the experience as highly satisfying. In asking individual students what they liked about the e-readers, they said they liked not having to carry a lot of books; they liked other students not knowing their reading level or choice of book; they liked that the book they were reading was always available and hadn’t been removed from the classroom. The voice-to-text feature was popular with students for whom English is a second language.

This could really help engage those reluctant readers. 

I suggest you read the whole article, it's not too long and has some interesting comments from the teachers and students.

What do you think?  Is e-readers the way to go?

Margaret
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vixen42
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

eraders and alpha smarts help my son lots

emilyrosenj
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

How old is your son?  Was he reading before the e-reader?

Quoting vixen42:

eraders and alpha smarts help my son lots

Margaret
maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I have noticed that the boys in my class are clamoring to use my iPad and the girls could care less. 

I prefer paper books for pleasure reading, but if some kids would rather use an ereader it sounds like a great idea. 

The trick to education is learing is very individual. So we need to have options to meet the needs of diverse learners. This is an option that could really help some kids. 

timon95
by on Mar. 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

my son is only into ereaders because dh has a kindle and i have kindle and nook on my phone. ds and dd both have the kindle app on their tablets and have a few books on it. they hardly use the app. dh loves his kindle, and is always downloading more books. ds seems toenjoy reading books that are more of a comic book style. he enjoys any kind of books - paperback or ereader.

kirbymom
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM

If e-readers are how a boy learns to love reading, I would have a few on hand and let the ones who wouldn't ordinarily enjoy reading but does like to read with an e-reader use one to read.  I think boys like e-readers more than paper books because they look more technical and show less of what it is they are reading so they couldn't be teased about what it is they are reading.  Girls on the other hand go for the look of a book as much as the content.  So they would rather have the paper book more. And Besides, you can't curl up with an e-reader as well as you can a paperback book.

MissyB1011
by on Mar. 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM

This is a very interesting study. My DS isn't old enough to read on his own yet. I'll have to see if this holds true. I have noticed with DD that she likes to use my Nook for games, but not too much for books. She still prefers going to the bookstore and picking out books to read.

AlexandraPratt
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM

This is really interesting! THanks a lot for posting the link. I write e-books for reluctant readers, and they are often - but not always - boys, who seem happier to pick up a gadget than be seen reading a book, but it's good to see some solid research in this area. I think engagement is everything, and it doesn't matter if it starts on a kindle or or comic!

alexandra-pratt.com

emilyrosenj
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM

My mom has never been a reader and we got her a Kindle for her birthday (she asked for it).  She is reading constantly now!  I'm a believer that it's good for anyone, not just boys!

Kmakksmom
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM

My kids love my Kindle!

tayanddyl
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM
My son loves to read, naturally. He has been a strong reader for as long as i can remember. He doesn't have an e-reader or anything like that. He just loves books
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN