Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best decision or Worst decision?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
  • 25 Replies

If you just recieved a scholarship for your child to go to one of the best institutions to complete their education now, to have the best education for free, would you send your child to that school?  Why or Why not?

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chichiwvu
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM
3 moms liked this
Why not indeed? LOL. I'd jump on it. I was originally going to go to school out of state but got a full ride if I chose an instate school. So I went to an instate school and I got an excellent education for basically free. I got my 4 year degree with no debt. (I got other scholarships as well to help pay for books, rent, and Lab fees not covered)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Quoting chichiwvu:

Why not indeed? LOL. I'd jump on it. I was originally going to go to school out of state but got a full ride if I chose an instate school. So I went to an instate school and I got an excellent education for basically free. I got my 4 year degree with no debt. (I got other scholarships as well to help pay for books, rent, and Lab fees not covered)

That's amazing! Good for you.

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Are you talking about college? I'm not seeing how that could possibly be a bad decision. Of course I would do it. 

kirbymom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

This would be a very difficult decision for me but I think I would have to say yes, I would send them.  I would consider this a good decision even though it would sadden me to let my child go so far away. But I would know it was the right decision to make.

Quoting kirbymom:

If you just recieved a scholarship for your child to go to one of the best institutions to complete their education now, to have the best education for free, would you send your child to that school?  Why or Why not?

kirbymom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Would you do it if it were for your child?

Quoting chichiwvu:

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Apr. 7, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I would send my child.  But I finally convinced him to stay home for the first semester so he will be going to community college.  He's just not ready to be away at school and I don't have money to waste! LOL!

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM

What makes it hard decision? The advantages are pretty obvious. What are the negatives?

Quoting kirbymom:

This would be a very difficult decision for me but I think I would have to say yes, I would send them.  I would consider this a good decision even though it would sadden me to let my child go so far away. But I would know it was the right decision to make.

Quoting kirbymom:

Barabell
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes, I don't see any downside. I would hope at 18 years old that I have prepared my son to be self-sufficient for where ever he goes to college at (whether near home or very far away).

extremelibrary
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Definately, no way would I turn that down.

chichiwvu
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes. The point I was trying to make is getting a college education for free is incredible. Very few people get that opportunity. Most children start out their lives after college with a 10 year baggage of student loans. Even if it wasn't the "best" education, as long as the school is accredited i think it would outweigh the student loans. Not having the financial burden of paying school would open up opportunities like study abroad that wouldn't be affordable otherwise.

Quoting kirbymom:

Would you do it if it were for your child?

Quoting chichiwvu:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)