Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

You know, everytime I turn around there is another holiday to celebrate.  Now I am okay with some but now its coming to a point that we should have a holiday every month of the year. 

Now coming to my point....

Do you believe the school holiday breaks, hinder school learning or help?

by on Apr. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
chichiwvu
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM
It depends on when the day off happens. A week off isn't bad, but a half week is pointless. If there were ever a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday day off, it would mess with the kids' attention more than anything.

Quoting kirbymom:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're saying that having more than  1 to 2 days off is more of a hinderance than a help?  right?

Quoting chichiwvu:

It depends. We all need breaks every now and then, but one day doesn't really get you relaxed enough. It can be very tough the few days before certain holidays though. Take thanksgiving- they get weds, thurs, fri. That Monday and Tuesday are like throw away days. Half the kids won't be there, the other half will already be mentally checked out. Now if it's just a Friday or Monday holiday it's not so bad. They don't really check out as much.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pherlyce
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

our school district have 3 more extra days of schools than other states, we don't have much break over here, and this spring break my kids are in high school but they have to do some internship and volunteer is part of their school academy curricular. We are looking forward for the summer vacation.

kirbymom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Hi Pherlyce.  Welcome.  :)

If you don't mind my asking, how many children do you have and what kind of breaks do you get when you get them?  How long are they? 

Quoting Pherlyce:

our school district have 3 more extra days of schools than other states, we don't have much break over here, and this spring break my kids are in high school but they have to do some internship and volunteer is part of their school academy curricular. We are looking forward for the summer vacation.

Pherlyce
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I have 3 kids all in high school and breaks is not an option, I am greatful that we have a very good and advance school system here even thou there are times that we wish that holidays are a bit longer, actually we also heard that our summer will be a bit shorter, they want to start school early.....can you believe that.

When my kids are in summer vacation or holiday vacation they always have tons of home work and they do a lot of hours in community service, is very hard to plan for any vacation when there is so much going on of our kids school curricular. I guess my breaks is being with my kids and see them happy and smiling despite of the hectic schedule,that makes my day.

Quoting kirbymom:

If you don't mind my asking, how many children do you have and what kind of breaks do you get when you get them?  How long are they? 

Quoting Pherlyce:

kirbymom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Wow. How do you manage having all teenagers at once?  I also have three and I wonder how I do it?  lol  :)   Do you have boys and girls or one set or the other? 

Quoting Pherlyce:

I have 3 kids all in high school and breaks is not an option, I am greatful that we have a very good and advance school system here even thou there are times that we wish that holidays are a bit longer, actually we also heard that our summer will be a bit shorter, they want to start school early.....can you believe that.

When my kids are in summer vacation or holiday vacation they always have tons of home work and they do a lot of hours in community service, is very hard to plan for any vacation when there is so much going on of our kids school curricular. I guess my breaks is being with my kids and see them happy and smiling despite of the hectic schedule,that makes my day.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Pherlyce:

Pherlyce
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I know right :)  I have 2 girls and 1 boy, my eldest is 18, next is almost 17 and my son is 15 years old, I am bless with wonderful kids and managing them are not that hard, they pretty much responsible kids. 

We Mom's can do and manages anything, I can tell we are like superwoman lol.

Quoting kirbymom:

Wow. How do you manage having all teenagers at once?  I also have three and I wonder how I do it?  lol  :)   Do you have boys and girls or one set or the other? 

Quoting Pherlyce:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Pherlyce:

Barabell
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting rhymia:

But the main reason I am opposed to a year round schedule? Because I believe the school's job is to educate my child, period. Not provide babysitting while I work. I cringe when I hear parents complain that the school day is too short, or that they have too many holidays, or they wish they were year round. Mostly because the argument has nothing to do with education and more to do with their desire for free babysitting.

ETA: I want to clarify and say that I know the babysitting issue is not the case here, but typically it IS the argument most used when discussing adding more days, lengthening the school day, etc.

A year-round school schedule has the same amount of calendar days as one with a long summer break.

I complain that my son's school year is too short, and it has nothing to do with babysitting. I do think more school days would benefit our kids. Most other countries have more school days than what we have in the US. I think we're doing them a disservice by not having longer school years, especially for the higher grades.

rhymia
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I noted that the time is still the same in my original response - making the point that by not having "traditional" break times might make it even more challenging for parents to find alternate care arrangements.

I also don't think comparing the US to other countries is *necessarily* apples to apples - as they use methods that we frown upon in this country (tracking, anyone?)

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting rhymia:

But the main reason I am opposed to a year round schedule? Because I believe the school's job is to educate my child, period. Not provide babysitting while I work. I cringe when I hear parents complain that the school day is too short, or that they have too many holidays, or they wish they were year round. Mostly because the argument has nothing to do with education and more to do with their desire for free babysitting.

ETA: I want to clarify and say that I know the babysitting issue is not the case here, but typically it IS the argument most used when discussing adding more days, lengthening the school day, etc.

A year-round school schedule has the same amount of calendar days as one with a long summer break.

I complain that my son's school year is too short, and it has nothing to do with babysitting. I do think more school days would benefit our kids. Most other countries have more school days than what we have in the US. I think we're doing them a disservice by not having longer school years, especially for the higher grades.

Barabell
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I've lived in areas before that have year-round school, and the after school / daycares in a year round school adjust their schedule to accommodate the district. So I don't buy that argument either. Also, I don't see how whether a school is year-round or if parents are calling for longer school years that it necessarily means those parents are concerned about child care.I really want longer school years and fewer early release days, but child care has never crossed my mind as a reason for wanting that.

Personally, I don't care for year-round school either, but it's for my own selfish reasons of enjoying the summer break. If my son's district switched to it, I wouldn't really be too upset either way.

Of course, it's not apples to apples, but in this global economy, it could be harder for our kids to compete for some jobs because the global workforce may (is?, possibly already?) become more educated than the US workforce. In that regard, I think our society is doing a disservice to our kids for them to have shorter school years.

Quoting rhymia:

I noted that the time is still the same in my original response - making the point that by not having "traditional" break times might make it even more challenging for parents to find alternate care arrangements.

I also don't think comparing the US to other countries is *necessarily* apples to apples - as they use methods that we frown upon in this country (tracking, anyone?)

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting rhymia:

rhymia
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM

One of the *top* reasons I hear for lengthening the school day and year has to do with child care, although I already noted I knew this wasn't the case here.  Perhaps anecdotal, but as a child care provider I am frequently on the receiving end of parent complaints about the lack of child care for their young school aged children. I also hear this on many of the parenting boards I frequent and when I worked outside the home as well. So you may not buy it, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. As a parent, I firmly believe it is my job to fill in any gaps in my child's education. I even design a summer curriculum for them (as well as all the school aged childrenin my care) so I don't necessarily buy the argument that US students will not be able to compete in the global economy simply because they are not in a classroom from 8-5 Monday - Friday.

Quoting Barabell:

I've lived in areas before that have year-round school, and the after school / daycares in a year round school adjust their schedule to accommodate the district. So I don't buy that argument either. Also, I don't see how whether a school is year-round or if parents are calling for longer school years that it necessarily means those parents are concerned about child care.I really want longer school years and fewer early release days, but child care has never crossed my mind as a reason for wanting that.

Personally, I don't care for year-round school either, but it's for my own selfish reasons of enjoying the summer break. If my son's district switched to it, I wouldn't really be too upset either way.

Of course, it's not apples to apples, but in this global economy, it could be harder for our kids to compete for some jobs because the global workforce may (is?, possibly already?) become more educated than the US workforce. In that regard, I think our society is doing a disservice to our kids for them to have shorter school years.

Quoting rhymia:

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting rhymia:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN