Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Are there any teachers in here? (Elementary) Pls help!

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

Well maybe not just teachers but anyone who has some input for me:). I hardly ever post in here, sorry I am a slacker. Lol.

Anyways, my name is Raegan. I have a son who is 6 years old..he is about graduate from Kindergarten..woohoo! He has done really well, all A's. I have very proud of him:). But here is my delimma. We have my boyfriend's daughter a lot. We haven't in the past bc my boyfriend has been out of state in the Army but now he's out and home and we'll get her much more often. She has horrible stability at her Moms house. She's in a bad environment. She is 9 years old, has an 8 year old brother and 1 year old brother and there's another on the way. She tells us that her Mom won't let her do her homework but that she has to spend time with her brothers (aka babysit). Then she tells me the other day that she was failing Math but is now passing with an A. But she's going to fail reading because she didn't turn in her reading logs. It is hard to completely believe her because she lies a lot. She usually stops though after the first day we have her. We are eventually going to try for custody hopefully very soon...she is wanting to live with us also. But my question is what can I do to help her with school? Does anyone have any ideas on any activities we could do in the summer? Not a lot but enough to help her and then maybe reward her if she does well? She also says she will pass the year and does not have to go to summer school. I have been urging my boyfriend to make a parent/teacher conference to find out what's going on.

Any help would be greately appreciated. Thank you SO much!

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
by on May. 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chichiwvu
by on May. 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Definitely talk to her teacher. A phone call will let your bf know what's really going on, if she's struggling, etc. she might even have activities to do.
If she struggles with reading, that is VERY important to work on. Take even 10 minutes a day to read to her. Have her read to you. Check out your local library together so she can pick out books that interest her and are appropriate reading level (her teacher can tell you what her reading level is).
I'm a firm believer in integrating math in your everyday. If you cook dinner, have her help you measure ingredients. If you go to the store, ask her how much two boxes of cereal would cost. You don't have to constantly quiz her, but get her thinking and seeing how you use math every day. You can do the same with reading. Make up games when you drive using billboards like first person to spot the word "green" then they choose the next word.

Just keep it fun :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I agree with this completely.  Also, play games with her.  With my daughter we would play games like I-spy or who am i.  Both games encourage her to describe things that she sees.  Also we play memory games and trivia games.  All this while we are driving in the car or sitting and waiting somewhere.  She is 11 now and still loves to play.  My son is 18 and also still enjoys the games (when he's with us! LOL!)

Quoting chichiwvu:

Definitely talk to her teacher. A phone call will let your bf know what's really going on, if she's struggling, etc. she might even have activities to do.
If she struggles with reading, that is VERY important to work on. Take even 10 minutes a day to read to her. Have her read to you. Check out your local library together so she can pick out books that interest her and are appropriate reading level (her teacher can tell you what her reading level is).
I'm a firm believer in integrating math in your everyday. If you cook dinner, have her help you measure ingredients. If you go to the store, ask her how much two boxes of cereal would cost. You don't have to constantly quiz her, but get her thinking and seeing how you use math every day. You can do the same with reading. Make up games when you drive using billboards like first person to spot the word "green" then they choose the next word.

Just keep it fun :)

Margaret

iuangina
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

First, get a conference with the teacher ASAP.  This way your BF can find out her current levels and know exactly what she needs.  

She needs to be reading EVERYDAY!  It's not enough for her to just read the books, but I assume at age 9 she is probably about to enter the 4th grade, she needs to work with what she has read.  Some ways to do that:  

Reading

• Comprehension - have her write a quiz for the book/chapter and you read the book and answer the questions (she gets to be the teacher); 
  • Comprehension - Google graphic organizers for plot, setting, characters, etc and have her complete one of those for each book she reads 
  • Vocabulary - use advanced vocabulary when you talk to her; select 2 - 3 advanced vocabulary words and maker her complete a frayer model (again google it)
  • Fluency - read out loud with her - have her read a paragraph, then you read a paragraph, etc.  
  • Phonics/sight words - create some games with common sounds (google phonics games); ask her teacher for a list of sight words and create flashcards that she can use while waiting at the doctor or in the car, etc. (these are words that you cannot sound out so she will just have to memorize them)

Math

• Multiplication facts - drill these until she knows them, flashcards, websites, etc.

Good luck!  Feel free to PM me if you need to.  I have taught 4th grade for years.  

momo3fgr8tteens
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

These are awesome ideas. Also let her make some of her own books with her own photos where she write about each photo. Kids that age really enjoy making books. Just use some construction paper and glue the photos on to the paper. Have her write a few sentences for each picture. it is okay to let her google or look in a dictionary to spell the words. She can then go home and read the books she makes to her siblings whic she is required to spend time with.  This will help with both reading and writing skills. These are great suugestions from luangina. 

Quoting iuangina:

First, get a conference with the teacher ASAP.  This way your BF can find out her current levels and know exactly what she needs.  

She needs to be reading EVERYDAY!  It's not enough for her to just read the books, but I assume at age 9 she is probably about to enter the 4th grade, she needs to work with what she has read.  Some ways to do that:  

Reading

• Comprehension - have her write a quiz for the book/chapter and you read the book and answer the questions (she gets to be the teacher); 
  • Comprehension - Google graphic organizers for plot, setting, characters, etc and have her complete one of those for each book she reads 
  • Vocabulary - use advanced vocabulary when you talk to her; select 2 - 3 advanced vocabulary words and maker her complete a frayer model (again google it)
  • Fluency - read out loud with her - have her read a paragraph, then you read a paragraph, etc.  
  • Phonics/sight words - create some games with common sounds (google phonics games); ask her teacher for a list of sight words and create flashcards that she can use while waiting at the doctor or in the car, etc. (these are words that you cannot sound out so she will just have to memorize them)

Math

• Multiplication facts - drill these until she knows them, flashcards, websites, etc.

Good luck!  Feel free to PM me if you need to.  I have taught 4th grade for years.  

jen2150
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I would definitely talk to her teacher to find exactly what is going on.  Every summer my kids pick a favorite subject and then I usually incorporate  what we need to work in that subject.  Usually in the summer we do a nature and animal study.  Does she like to draw?  Nature journaling can be a lot of fun for kids and very educational.  There are many ways to incorporate learning into favorite projects.  Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

education_mom
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM

Hi Raegan, 

First of all, kudos to you for caring about your boyfriend's daughter and wanting to do right by her. She is fortunate to have you and her dad in her life. 

Here are some thoughts:

1) your bf's daughter is old enough to know what your expectations are when she's in your home. So stick to your guns on that. She'll live up to what you expect because she knows you care.

2) Schedule that P/T conference asap. The teacher has to know that you want to partner with her/him to ensure your bf's daughter's success in school. Don't blame her mome or focus on that. Just focus on what you and your bf can do to support her.  

3) During the conference, speak with the teacher separately first to make sure you're all on the same page. Then bring your bf's daughter in so that with support from you and hard work on her part, she will not just pass to the next grade, but excel. With her present, come up with a solid plan for action. Put it in writing and make everyone present sign it. Make sure it's a feasible plan and that doesn't necessarily require her mom's support. 

4) As for summer, some sort of summer school is in order. If cost is an issue, then get a good Kumon or summer bridge-type of comprehensive workbook. There are plenty at the local bookstore and you can usually get them cheaper on amazon.com. 

5) Remember 9 year olds still respond really well to constant positive feedback, even small visual reward systems like a sticker chart still work at this age. So if that helps, implement something like that. Let me know if you want more details about how to do that. 

Most importantly, make sure she knows all that you are doing is because you know she is a bright girl and has the potential to be an excellent student. Let her know that you and her dad will be there to support her 100% of the way. 

Best,

www.educationmom.com

facebook.com/educationmom

mummy1990
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Read with her. Sit down, and have her read, involve the other kids too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN