Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

Why Would An Instructor Do This - And Am I Wrong To Question Her Practices?!

Posted by   + Show Post

I am working with an instructor who is worried that a particular student hasn't been able to pass quizzes (which, of course, could lead to failure). She sought my advice about giving "hints," and I told her to focus on test-taking strategies rather than spoon-feeding the answers, but apparently if students fail her job is on the line, so this is what she posted. I am beyond uncomfortable with giving students the answers, which will probably keep me from ever moving up : (( Am I wrong?!!  This is what she posted - which went against my advice. She is a highly paid instructor; I am a lowly Teaching Assistant trying to move up in the online world . *sigh*

week 3 quiz hints

by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Replies (11-14):
education_mom
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, first of all, you are not a lowly teaching assistant. Every person in that school, in that classroom who is an adult makes a difference in a kid's life and for that reason alone, you should think more of yourself! Secondly, not ok to give students the answers under any circumstances. I know there is tremendous pressure on teachers but if she cannot do it honestly, she shouldn't be a teacher. What a terrible example to kids!!!

It's also a sticky situation because she is a colleague and you don't want to "rat her out" so-to-speak. Is it possible to speak to the principal in confidence? 

www.educationmom.com

wishbearmom
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Thank you so much!!! I have a master's degree and the same credentials as the instructors I work with, yet I still feel inferior - and OMG I work so hard for so little pay. I am serious when I say if I calculated the amount of time I spend for the pay I make McDonalds workers make more than I do - but I cannot ignore my students or take my job less seriously; it is who I am. Thank-you for your words of encouragement. Whether or not the university cares is another story for another day, though I have to figure this out and find a job that pays the mortgage sooner rather than later, or I will lose primary custody of my 8 yr old daughter - and I can't risk that!!

Quoting education_mom:

Um, first of all, you are not a lowly teaching assistant. Every person in that school, in that classroom who is an adult makes a difference in a kid's life and for that reason alone, you should think more of yourself! Secondly, not ok to give students the answers under any circumstances. I know there is tremendous pressure on teachers but if she cannot do it honestly, she shouldn't be a teacher. What a terrible example to kids!!!

It's also a sticky situation because she is a colleague and you don't want to "rat her out" so-to-speak. Is it possible to speak to the principal in confidence? 

www.educationmom.com

millersmom13
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If I was the STUDENT, I'd be pissed. People don't pay thousands of dollars for college to sit around and learn nothing while the teacher spoonfeeds them the answers, they pay to get an education... Or at least, the ones who deserve to be there do.

Quoting Aslen:

I'd be even MORE pissed then.

Quoting wishbearmom:

FYI, this is college! (online)

Quoting Aslen:

'd take a screen shot and go to the principal

*ETA* As aparent, I'd be PISSED if all the teacher did was give my child the answers. I'd be more pissed if people knew and did nothing about it

beanielips
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

With all the high stakes in education, more and more teachers are feeling bullied into this direction.  You are right, it only makes the problem worse.  there is a teacher that teaches the course before mine and gives ALL kinds of hints.  The kids pass with B's and C's, but don't have any of the subject matter.  i have been told more than once that my failure rate is too high and I need to do something about it.  I stick to my guns, keep helping the kids, work on pre-req material instead of standards level material, and still have a high failure rate.  But passing them on doesn't help anyone. Thank goodness for tenure.  I know I am doing a good job, and the kids ARE learning, but given I am doing non-grade level work, I can't argue a passing grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN