Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms for Education Moms for Education

school supplies

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM
  • 13 Replies

Do you have a huge list this year? Do you love to shop the back to school sales? What are you/your kids favorite things to shop for?

I used to love picking out my folders. Hello Lisa Frank! LOL. Now I'm really into the sales and getting things for as cheap as possible (staples penny items). I've already found free glue and free pens and pencils.

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momto1plus1
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I love shopping for school supplies. My family teases me about sniffing the Crayolas. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Our lists are the same as always - not anything crazy.

I haven't found any free stuff though!!! :). You go!!
littleswampfox
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:49 PM
I have to buy lots of supplies for my classroom (as always). The list for my 9th, 11th, and 12th grade students is the following:

3-ring binder (can be combined with another class)
Looseleaf paper
5 dividers
2 one subject notebooks (the 10-cent Walmart ones are fine)
Something to write with (pen/pencil but no purple or pink)
2 highlighters (different colors)
Some white copy paper
Sticky notes
A book that YOU want to read

Anything seem out of the ordinary to anybody?
Wyndi
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I didn't have a huge list this year. I won't know what I will need for DS until the first day of classes. He's a H.S. Senior this year.  For him its the basics pens, pencils, notebooks and the graphing calculator since his died last year.

There are two of us in college here so its the basics there as well.

This year I was able to help out my brother/sil with my oldest niece, another sister with 3 of her 4 kids and a good friend with 3 of her kids. I am waiting on pay day to mail out the last of the school supplies I bought for my sister's kids.

Wyndi
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Quoting littleswampfox:

I have to buy lots of supplies for my classroom (as always). The list for my 9th, 11th, and 12th grade students is the following:

Looseleaf paper
5 dividers
Some white copy paper
Sticky notes

Wal marts notebooks are now $0.17 each.  Becareful you may get a 12th grader reading one of the fifty shades books. Otherwise it looks good to me.  I just wish the teachers would hand out their supply lists when they give out the kids their class schedules in the spring that way we parents can pick them up when they are on sale.

littleswampfox
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Quoting Wyndi:

I had no idea the Walmart notebooks had gone up! Thanks for the heads up. I wish our students could get supply lists before open house. Some of our kids don't even get their schedule until open house on the Thursday before school starts. It's tax-free weekend here right now, and it would be beneficial if students had their lists.

[Rachel] [Hubby] [Miss Z 7.23.3009] [Little H 1.12.2012]

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Our lists were pretty small. I was expecting more. We took the kids and let them pick our their stuff, we also bought them a few things that weren't on their lists like fun pencil cases. =D

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Quoting Wyndi:

Quoting littleswampfox:

Looseleaf paper
5 dividers
Some white copy paper
Sticky notes

Wal marts notebooks are now $0.17 each.  Becareful you may get a 12th grader reading one of the fifty shades books. Otherwise it looks good to me.  I just wish the teachers would hand out their supply lists when they give out the kids their class schedules in the spring that way we parents can pick them up when they are on sale.

Eh. Other than being poorly written, there isn't anything that bad in the 50 shades books. I would let my highschooler read them.

chichiwvu
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Plus they are e-books. Would your students bring kindles or nooks to school?

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Quoting Wyndi:

Quoting littleswampfox:

Looseleaf paper
5 dividers
Some white copy paper
Sticky notes

Eh. Other than being poorly written, there isn't anything that bad in the 50 shades books. I would let my highschooler read them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littleswampfox
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Quoting chichiwvu:

I have some students (mostly Honors/IB kids) who prefer to read on Kindles/Nooks. All of our IB students are issued iPads by the school, so we download books on those for them.

And, if I saw a student reading a 50 shades book, I probably would talk to him/her about choosing literature that was written better. There are some worse sex scenes in the Zane books that high school girls, especially AA girls, read all the time. Do I think they should be reading it? Nope. But, hey, at least they are reading. :)

[Rachel] [Hubby] [Miss Z 7.23.3009] [Little H 1.12.2012]

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)